Prologue- Tracey

I was about to snap the trunk closed, when I remembered the tie around my neck. I wore it whenever I could, only taking it off when mother insisted or to play. As much as I wanted to leave it on, I knew I probably shouldn’t, it wouldn’t be right. Slowly I untied it, and laid it on top of my new black robes. It seemed beautiful, the red and gold, standing out against the black.

                “Tracey!” Letting out a breath I slammed the trunk down and started down the stairs. When I reached the bottom I turned and saw my mother shoving things into her purse. She wore a long black coat over the fine green dress she always wore for first dates. Her brown hair was done up, and she wore the red shoes that father had gotten her. Despite being a set of bright red two inch heels, they were enchanted to always feel comfortable and to automatically go with anything she wears.

                Once when I was younger I’d tried them on, and even though they were way too big I could walk perfectly. They were the most comfortable things I’d ever worn. I’d walked over to my mother’s full length mirror, and examined them. Even in my shorts and T-shirt they somehow seemed to tie the whole outfit together.

                “I’ve got to go, I’m already late” Mum turned to face me “You have a ride to the station, right?”

                “Yeah the Joneses are giving me a ride” She hugged me and then kissed my forehead lightly.

                “Have fun at school. Let me know what house you get. See you at Christmas” and she was gone. Out the door in a heartbeat.

                I nodded to myself and went into the kitchen to raid the pantry for snacks for the train.