I Just Don't Understand

"Miku, can you grab that box for me?"

I looked up from the book I was reading to see Mikuo stood looking down to me.

"S-sure, where shall I put it?"

I picked up the box next to him and turned to face him.

"Put it over there - thanks Miku!"

He walked off to go help mine and Neru's parents with the bigger furniture, while Neru and I (but mostly me) moved smaller boxes from the car to our new rooms. Neru was perched on a box that was supposed to be in her room, but apparently failed to make it that far, texting on her small yellow phone as she usually did when she was bored.

Something felt wrong about today though, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

-

~ Len POV ~

"OK guys, if anyone screws this up I will gut you."

Meiko glared at us all as we came towards Miku's new house. Some people living nearby knew of their arrival and when we'd asked people, they'd happily given us the address when we said we were old friends of Miku.

Yeah right. Nobody liked Miku. She was bossy, bratty and arrogant. When she'd left everything in that school breathed a sigh of relief. She'd tried to get me and Rin kicked out of the school talent show one year. And Luka kicked out of the school play. Meiko hated her the most. She'd brought two empty sake bottles to smash over Miku's head, but Luka was still trying to talk her out of it.

We were all somewhat armed - Rin carried a large baseball bat (I have no idea where she got that), I had a plank of wood I found in the garage, Luka had brought a few heavy looking books, Kaito had a crowbar Taito had given him, Meiko with her sake bottles, Gakupo with his samurai sword (yes somebody thought arming Gakupo was a good idea) and Teto held a large drill.

"So, we break in and blast Hatsune's house to the floor?"

Teto spoke up, her eyes glittering in the pale afternoon sun. She was always excited, and today was no exception.

"I guess so."

I was surpised when I heard the worry in my voice. But I was worried. Miku's parents were rich and important - what if they took it to court or we got thrown in jail? My mom would practically disown me and Rin if that happened.

"Len, are you OK?"

Rin was peering at me with her large blue eyes filled with worry.

"I guess I'm a little nervous..."

"What's there to be worried about? It's a hit-and-run - nothing complicated!"

"I guess I don't want things to go wrong..."

But Rin didn't hear me. She'd skipped off to go chat with Teto. Sometimes Rin's 0.03 second attention span annoyed me. You could never hold any sort of conversation with her.

We stopped, and a hush fell upon the group. I heard Kaito's quiet voice;

"OK, this is it."