Chapter 5

It was a Friday night and she'd agreed to go on a date with Michael. That was the main reason why she'd bailed on the group hangout Jackie suggested. Her only wish was that they go to a place Jackie would never go or at least they stay clear of the bowling alley downtown. She really had no idea where they were going and so she couldn't pick an outfit. He was going to pick her up at 7 pm and she'd been staring at the clothes in her closet for the past hour. Hse was so grateful she didn't have class on Fridays but she, however, had to tutor some students but she canceled the appointment. She felt bad but she needed all the time she could get to get ready since she'd had to forego her stylist (Jackie). She spent the day at the salon getting her hair and nails done. Her hair was usually up in a bun because that was the kind of girl she was -a minimalist. But for the date, she had gone for a wash and her curls to be more defined. Her normal nail color would be black but tonight she was a fire hot girl, she chose red and her nails looked awesome. Jackie would be so proud. She was standing there when her phone rang. It was from Jackie.

"Oh God, let her not be at my door"

"Hey Jay, what's up?"

"Sal, last chance to join us. Come on girl, live a little"

"Jay you know I have some reading to catch up on."

"It's Friday, though. You have Saturday and even Sunday to do all that boring stuff" she whined.

"I know but remember I have that family function this Saturday"

"Yeah. Welp, girl I forgot. I'll have fun for both of us"

"Wait a second. Don't hang up. Julie texted me she had a hot date tonight and the guy didn't tell her where they were going so she wanted outfit ideas"

"Julie? The girl in your class? When did y' all get that close?"

"Does it matter? She must be desperate if she asked me" she laughed.

"You must be right. Tell her to put on a black midi dress if she has one. She can't go wrong with that" she suggested.

"It's cold out. What kind of jacket should she pair it with? And don't forget shoes."

"Well, ask her if she has a jacket that is suitable for a fancy restaurant and can be worn to a place like the bowling alley? She can wear black pumps. The guy should've really given her a hint at least."

"Right? All this stress." Sally complained.

"Tell her not to stress and to just chill and dress up for anything except the opera though, she's gonna need a ball gown for that" Jackie joked.

"Alright, thanks, sis. Have a fun evening. I'll just be here reading" she whined.

"Bye babe. Read a ton" then she hangs up.

After the call, she checked the time and she had an hour before Mike showed up and with the advice Jackie gave, she found the perfect outfit that fit her situation. She got into the shower and just after putting the finishing touches to her makeup, she heard a knock on her door.

She opened to find Michael looking snazzy in a business casual outfit and with her favorite flowers and chocolate.

"Hi, come in" she greeted.

"Hi, you look remarkable" he complimented handing her the flowers and chocolate.

"Thank you for that and these" she smiled.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"Yeah let me grab my purse"

They left her apartment. On their way, she asked him where they were going and he said dinner at this restaurant that just opened downtown that is all the rave among the campus folk. She panicked a bit about the campus folk bit but then she remembered that usually when they go bowling with the gang, they just load up on fries, wings, and burgers at the alley. She calmed down just when they rolled into the parking lot of the LaVida Restaurant. He parked and helped her out of the car. He was such a gentleman. They walked in and as they were waiting to get a table, she heard her name and a chill ran down her spine. She turned around praying it wasn't who she thought it was but it was too late. She came face-to-face with Jackie. And to make matters worse, Michael also turned. She knew when he turned because of the expression on her best friend's face. Jackie stared at the two for a second and then turned and left the restaurant.