Chapter 10

He knew this was his last shot to get her to get with him. He hoped that whatever he says now will make her look on him a bit more favourably. He took a deep breath and went on to explain to her that the situation had been misrepresented and blown out of proportion.

"I'm not an unfaithful partner" Michael stated

"Okay, so why is your ex saying something else?" Sally asked

"She isn't necessarily an ex because we had a special kind of arrangement in which the lines became blurred and she started taking certain liberties"

"Arrangement? What kind of arrangement?"

"Well, we were friends with benefits" he muttered

"I didn't quite catch that," she said

"I said we were friends with benefits" he repeated audibly

"Oh," she said as the realisation dawned on her

"In the agreement, if one person begins to have real feelings for the other party and it's not mutual then the arrangement comes to an end and they go their separate ways"

"Really? And you guys thought it was a good idea?"

"At the time it seemed good because neither of us was looking for a permanent situation"

"Wow, well that still makes zero sense to me but do you"

"About the abuse part, it never happened. She was just bitter that I ended things and she swore to get even"

"I-" she was interrupted by a knock on her door

She moved to check who it was because she was expecting Jackie to come over. Looking through her peephole, she saw that Jackie came with the company. She let them in and that's when they saw Michael.

"I thought you were done with him. What's he doing here?" they questioned in unison.

"He's just leaving," Michael said as he stood up

"Think about what we talked about," he said to Sally and he left.

Sally closed the door and turned around to the questioning glances of her friends.

"Well, spill. What was he talking about?" Jackie questioned

"Have a seat, guys. I'll tell you everything"

When it seemed everyone was somewhat comfortable with their seating arrangements, Ben gestured that now was the time for Sally to start talking.

"Well before you think I lied to you, I just came from class to meet him at my door" Sal explained

"So he's stalking you?" Todd asked
"Not necessarily. He just came to tell me his side of the story"

"You mean he came to justify his actions" Ben commented

Sally then proceeded to inform them of everything that Michael had said to her.

"So do you believe him?" they asked

"No, not really but I'd like to talk to the girl in question and hear things for myself"

"It's not necessary, Sal, I spoke to her already" Jay argued

"I know but-"

"But nothing. You don't trust me" Jay said thickly

"No, Jay. That's not it. I just want to meet her" she said drawing close to her best friend.

"Okay then. Just say when and I'll take you there" Jackie agreed.

They hang out in her apartment for a while catching up on each other's lives.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, a young woman had just come home with her young child. After dropping off their things, she turned on the TV for the two-year-old boy to watch. She was just about to start preparing their dinner when the doorbell rang.

"Just a second" she responded as she dried off her hands to unlock the door.

Without even looking through her security window she opened the door and came face-to-face with her biggest nightmare.

"Hello there, Jane. Miss me?" Michael greeted mischievously.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" she asked gripped with fear.

"I came to ask you for a little favour," he said as he rushed to grab her by the throat.

"Please let me go. I'll do whatever you ask" she pleaded with tears running down her face.

"Fine then," he said letting go of his hold on her.

They stood in the foyer of the house. She hoped Jason wouldn't come looking for her. He didn't need to see any of this.

"A beautiful woman would come and see you about our relationship. I really like her and I need you to tell her that the rumours about me being a cheat and an abuser is nothing but lie that you came up with when our friends with benefits arrangement ended" he narrated with a wicked grin.

"Okay, I will do it" she agreed hastily so he would leave.

"Make it convincing or else we know who will pay for your mistakes" he threatened.

"Please keep him out of this," she said with a raised voice

Right after that, she felt the sting of his hand across her face.

"Grown a bit confident, have we?" he taunted

"Please, I'm sorry. I would do everything I can to be convincing. Just leave me and Jason alone" she pleaded

and then he turned and left just as he'd come.

"How could I have gotten involved with that man? Because of him, I lost everything. My only brother and his wife."

"Mommy" Jason cried from the room.
She quickly dried her eyes and ran to him.

P. S: Thanks for reading! 😊