Chapter 9

"Did he hear her right?" He couldn't believe what she said.

"What did you say?" He asked tentatively, hoping he misheard.

"I said I want to put an end to whatever is going on here"

"Why would you want to do that? What did I do to you?"

"You haven't done anything to me in particular"

"Then why don't you want to give me a shot"

"I found out something about you that truly terrifies me"

"What are you talking about? What have I done?"

"I found out that you are a serial cheater and also have violent reactions towards the women in your life"

"Whaaat?!" he exclaimed. "Where did you get that lie from?"

"Lie?" Sally asked taken aback with that particular info.

"Yes, lie. So who told you?"

"Jackie"

"Jackie? Your best friend?"

"Yeah, that Jackie and she had no reason to lie to me"

"Maybe she didn't lie but whoever told her that lied to her"

At this point, Sally was getting confused but she knew in her gut to keep trusting Jackie because never had she led her astray. Despite her wild side, Jackie was the more sensible friend. Jackie by virtue of dating a law student always made sure that whatever she said was verified and true. So she didn't know what kind of game Michael was playing but she wasn't here for it.

"It really doesn't matter if it's true or not. I don't want to be mixed up in this drama. My life isn't a TV drama show"

"Sa-" her phone beeped.

"Nope, don't want to hear what you have to say. Please leave" she said walking over to the door to let him out.

He couldn't believe this was happening. He needed to fix this before it got out of hand. He walked out of the door, took one long look at her and got the door slammed in his face.

"This isn't over. You'll be mine" and then he left.

She let out a breath she didn't know she'd held as she slumped against the door.

"That went easier than I thought"

She took her phone and sent Jay a text, "Girl, I'm back at my place"

"Okay, I'm coming over" came the reply.

"No, not today"

"Sure?"

"Yeah, I have a lot of catching up to do"

"You're not lying to me, right?"

"No, I am not. Trust me. I'm sorry for the last time. I just ended things with Mike"

"Girl, I need to come over. Are you okay?"

"I'm okay. I'll see you later"

"Send me a selfie or something because I need to lay eyes on you"

She facetimed her, "See, I'm okay"

"Well, that's good"

"Got to go. Love you"

"Love you too bud" and the call ended.

It'd been a week since she came back. Michael has been trying really hard to speak to her but she'd been really swamped making it impossible for him. But it seems his luck was about to change seeing as she saw him pacing in front of her door when she got back to her place mid-afternoon Thursday after her classes ended.

"What do you want?" she questioned impatiently as she moved to unlock her door.

"Hi Sal" he greeted, "I've been trying to reach you"

"I know and I've been avoiding you" she responded

"Come on, Sal. There are two sides to every story. Don't you want to hear mine?"

"No, not necessarily" she moved into her apartment.

"Okay, regardless of how you feel, I still deserve the opportunity to defend myself. The law states that you are innocent until proven guilty. And-" he explained.

"Well, clearly this isn't the courthouse" she pointed out.

"It doesn't matter. Just let me explain and then I would never bother you again" he pleaded.

He drove a hard bargain. She now had the choice of spending less than an hour with him listening to his side and never hearing from him again and sending him away only for him to keep showing up.

"Your offer is really tempting"

"Then accept it"

She thought about it for a moment and opened her door for him to come in in when she made up her mind to hear him out. She knew she was making the right choice but something told her that she was about going to regret making that choice. No matter what she thought could go wrong with her life after lending him a listening ear, she wasn't ready for the rollercoaster ride she just got on.

"Well, the floor is all yours" Sal announced when they'd both been situated comfortably.

"Thank you"

P. S: Thanks for reading! 😊