Chapter 18

Something stirred in her arms that caused her to open her eyes to see that she had indeed zoned out. Back to her current circumstances, she watched little Jace sleep soundly in her arms the events of that morning long forgotten not that he witnessed much of it anyway. Was it all really finally over? Was she free from him? She hoped so and if the situation hadn't changed, she resolved to put an end it to it permanently. She can't let that chaos be all that Jace grows up to know. Ignoring it hadn't helped her in the long run. So, the best option now was to confront the problem head on like her brother taught her.
Meanwhile, at the police station ...
"Young man, what were you thinking?!", his father questioned angrily.
"You know what? this is all your fault", his father accused his mother
"How is this my fault? He learnt this from you", his mother retorted
He just tuned them out because he knew they were not going to stop.
"I can't help him without jeopardising my political career. You heard the lawyer the evidence is overwhelming." His dad stated and got his attention
"I expected nothing less of you", Michael spoke up for the first time since his parents and lawyer arrived.
"So, he speaks?" his father replied sarcastically
"Yes, he speaks" he replied angrily
"And what right do you have to be angry right now after dragging my family name through the mud?"
He moved to respond when his mom shook her head signalling him to not worsen the situation.
"That's what I thought", his father said
"Let him plead guilty and serve his sentence. The best you can do is get a plea deal from the prosecutors anyway." And then his father walked out.
"Mom, please I can't go to jail", he pleaded
"You should've thought of that before you lay your hands on a woman like an animal!" she shouted.
"I'm no different than the one you share a bed with" he retorted angrily which earned him a smack across the face.
"How dare you bring that up? Do you want your father to get you locked away forever?" she questioned
"He can't lock me away forever. This is an assault case and not a murder case!" he shouted
"Michael Logan Porter! Keep-" his mom said sharply
"I most certainly can make it a murder case. Have you forgotten so soon what you did two years ago?" his father who was stationed at the door questioned.
"You can't prove anything! There were no witnesses." He stated
"That's what you think. If you don't fix your tone, I will make sure that you are charged with the murder of Jason Nelson-Jones and the attempted murder of Joshua Taylor" his father answered calmly.
"Attempted? Josh is still alive?" he asked quietly.
His father smirked and walked away.
Unknown to them, the room was bugged. And it was perfectly legal hence everything said could and would be used against them in the court of law.

"Mom, what did he mean by that?" he asked
"Later, I need to talk to your father" and she rushed out of the room after her husband.
"Mr. Porter, can we carry on?" the lawyer, Miles Johnson asked
"No, just do whatever my mom tells you. I can't concentrate right now" he replied
"Very well, excuse me" and the lawyer left allowing the warden to take him back to his cell.
Back in his cell, he zoned out to that night two years ago...
********************************************************************
He'd just gotten off a call that informed him of Jane's brother's decision to turn him in to the police for assault. He couldn't afford the news going public. His sister just scored major points from their dad by being the perfect daughter again by getting engaged to the first son of one of the major political families in the country, the Wesingtons. He may the only son of the family but he learnt long ago that Alyssa Elaine Porter was the favourite child. She could do no wrong in their father's eyes. They both snuck out for a party as teenagers and he was punished because his father assumed, he dragged her there when in fact he met her there. He hastily left the family dinner held in Alyssa's honour. Considering the company, they had, his departure didn't sit well with his father so he had ordered someone to follow him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid to ruin his sister's future marriage. It seemed the heavens were smiling down on him because the clouds were gathering when he set out. When he finally caught up with Jason, he realised that he had another person with him which he quickly found out to be Josh. It's bad enough they were able to get him separated from Jane when she lost their baby. They weren't about to cost him his freedom and life as he knew it. He began to drive them off the slippery roads. He planned to cause a crash that will silence them for good. He wasn't afraid that he could go down with them because he had car racing as one of his hobbies so he could definitely handle the situation. He pursued them relentlessly till he successfully caused Jason to lose control of his car. Luckily, there was no one on the road from his family house. They had snuck up to his cottage near the family house to take evidence that could put him away for the assault of Jane. He watched their car skid off the road and crash into the trees where it eventually seemed too catch fire and then he drove off satisfied. Unknown to him, Josh had been able to free himself before the car began to catch fire. The most damaged side of the car was the driver's side giving Jason zero chances of survival. The spy had watched everything take place but unlike Michael he moved closer to the crash site to check for survivors. When he saw Josh, he phoned his boss who instructed him to get him to safety.
********************************************************************
He sat in his cell wondering how he survived the crash and the fire. If only he'd gone back to check if they had indeed died. He wouldn't be in this mess. And how could his father have known this and how long has he known this and where exactly has Josh been hiding because considering how much he loved Jane, he should be by her side. He had no idea of how he was going to get out of this mess but he sure hoped his mom did a good job of convincing his father to drop the murder charges.