Seven and A Half

-Seventeen Years Ago, Age 13-

All the children sat at the dining room table. Allison and Luther were looking at each other. Diego carved into his arm chair with his knife. Klaus rolled a joint. Ben's nose was in his book. Amanda picked at her nails, pulling the skin and watching it heal. Vanya sat quietly as she ate. Amanda noticed Five looked agitated and he looked at her. She shook her head and he ignored her and slammed his knife into the table.

"Number Five?" Their dad asked.

"I have a question." He said.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Harr Carlson."

"I want to time travel." Five said, pushing his plate. Amanda rolled her eyes.

"Here we go again." She mumbled.

"No." Their dad said.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my special jumps, just like you said." Five said, standing up. He jumped next to their dad. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." Amanda looked at Diego and he shrugged, not knowing what their dad meant.

"Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

"I'm not afraid." Five said.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore." Their dad said. Five ignored their dad and took off running. "Number Five! You haven't been excused! Come back here!"

The children continued eating and Diego grabbed Amanda's hand and squeezed it.

"He'll be back." He whispered to her. Amanda nodded and they finished eating. It was getting late and Five still hadn't come back. Amanda sat at the bottom of the stairs and tapped her foot.

"Amanda, it's way past your bedtime." Her mom said, coming down the stairs.

"He hasn't come back mom."

"I'm sure he'll be back soon dear. Just give it some time. Now come on. You need to go to bed sweetie." Amanda nodded and grabbed her mom's hand. She took one more look at the door and sighed. Little did she know, he never came back.

-Fourteen Years Ago, Age 16-

"Amanda move!" Diego yelled, pushing the girl out of the way and getting hit by the knife.

"Diego!" She yelled, moving over to him. The knife went into his shoulder. "Here, I got it." She ripped the knife out causing him to give out a grunt. She placed her hand on his wound and healed it up.

"You gotta pay better attention, Amanda!" Diego said to her.

"I don't need your help all the time." Amanda snapped at him. Another guy came near them and she took the knife and stabbed him in the leg, making him buckle down. She pulled the knife and jammed it in his neck. Diego just stared at her. "See!"

"Come on you two." Klaus yelled. Diego jumped up and grabbed Amanda, helping her up.

"Remember what I said, I'll always protect you." He said, winking at her. Her cheeks heated up and she gave him a small push.

"Let's go before dad sees us." She said, going with the others. He smiled after her and then joined her with the group.

-Later-