Brothers

Before all their troubles, they were just two kids whose parents had just married each other.

Really, their friendship was kind of forced, but they eventually got along like most siblings are expected to.

One day, Wirt and Greg's parents decided to go out and have dinner together.

"Watch out for your little brother, okay, Wirt?" his mother told him.

At that time, the two kids barely knew each other, but Wirt thought he could try this new 'big brother' thing.

When they left, there was only him and his brother in the house.

Wirt's poetic mind twisted with ideas about brotherhood and growing old. Suddenly, words began to gracefully exit Wirt's mouth.

"Someday, dear brother,
We'll laugh at each other
From our days of youth
About how you lost your first tooth
Trust me, dear brother,
The days will fly
Time goes by like a butterfly
Someday, dear brother, we'll get along."

Realizing what he just said, Wirt told himself, "Yeesh. That's one of my bad ones." Greg shook his head and smiled widely.

"It's awesome! My favorite part was the one about the butterfly. Did you know I used to have a butterfly? It fell asleep in my old house. It had orange wings and I named it Jerry! It's taking a really long nap but it's definitely going to wake up."

It seemed to Wirt as if his brother didn't have an off switch. The last night, he had slept at two in the morning and woke up at ten that day.

Greg seemed like he really liked Wirt's poetry, so he gave his brother a smile. Tapping his chin, Wirt thought of what to do next.

In the corner, a small desk with piles of books was found. Wirt looked for a certain book which he remembered had a picture of a dog and a girl.

'Tiffany The Small Red Dog and the Circus'. Wirt remembered reading that book in first grade, and it was a really dumb book.

Although Greg wasn't dumb, he seemed to like animals, and the fact that it was animal book would distract him.

"Hey, dad read me that book! It's a good one if you ask me. The best Tiffany book yet." Wirt, surprised that Greg read the book, put the book down and decided to ask his half-brother some questions.

"What's your favorite animal?"

"All of them."

"Favorite color?"

"All of them."

"Favorite Disney Junior show?"

"Absolutely none of them."

Wirt laughed at Greg's response. This kid was smarter than he seemed. Greg grabbed some large spoons and a kettle.

"Hey, Wirt, can you listen to this?" Wirt nodded in response. Greg banged the spoon against the kettle, making an incredibly large vibration. Greg began singing a merry little tune he made on the spot.

"Singing in the kitchen
Isn't it fun
Spoons are our music
Isn't it fun
Sing along to the song
It's the spoon soon song
The spoon soon song
Sing along to the spoon soon song!"

Wirt, impressed by the song yet feeling a bit pressured since Greg was gesturing him to sing, began singing, "The spoon soon song is a cool cool song...?"

Greg nodded in approval.

"Sing along to the spoon soon song!" they sang in unison.

Very pleased with Wirt, Greg said, "I think we'd be a great duet! So I've told you about Jerry. Can I hear about another pet you had?"

"Well, we used to have a snail named Flash. Probably because it was the fastest snail ever."

The two laughed at the mention of a fast snail. "I like your style, Wirt!"
____________

"I guess now's the time to tell you what I actually want from you, Bill." Bill, waking up from his half-slumber, jumped a bit.

"Huh? Ooh, the deal." Confused, Finn stared at the two.

"I want Greg to come back."

"Greg? Who's that?" Finn asked, making Wirt glare.

"My brother."

Surprised, Finn thought he was the only one who had lost a family member. Wirt knew what it felt like, and it felt good that he did. Finn didn't feel so.. lonely anymore.

"I'm sorry. I know how you feel." Finn muttered.

"If Greg's soul is alive, then sure, I can bring his physical body back."

Wirt stared at his lantern, then back at Bill. "Fine."