Part 9

BACK TO THE COFFEE SHOP – PRESENT TIME

Manik accesses his personal e-mail on his tab. He fishes out a mail:

Trilok Chaurasia

28/04/07

Subject: Offer Letter

He quickly opens it and reads through. Certain key points catch his attention for the first time, something that never crossed his eyes before. Excerpts from the letter -

1. Salary and Benefits:

The company reserves its right to change the different components/allowances/structure of the total emoluments package at its discretion at any time in the future.

2. Duties:

During the course of your employment, you shall not either directly or indirectly, engage in, or be interested in, any service or business or profession other than that of the company. Breach of this condition will entitle the company to terminate your employment.

3. Service Conditions:

a. Management, at its sole discretion and convenience, will be entitled to assign you duties and change or modify the same from time to time during the period of your employment.

b. During the employment, you will be bound by the company's rules and regulations framed and enforced from time to time. The Company reserves the right to amend or alter these at any time at its discretion, without giving any notice thereof, and these will be deemed as rules and regulations in terms of your employment.

c. You will devote your whole time and attention to your duties for the promotion of the business and interest of the company.

d. Your employment with us is also terminable if the information given by you at the time of your application or interview is found incorrect.

The muscles around Manik's jaw throbs rhythmically. Why is it that these points never came under his scanner before? Is it that he didn't sit down and scrutinize the offer document carefully? Or did he trust Trilok too much? Did he believe others when they shared certain convincing trivia about Trilok and his company?

FLASHBACK CONTINUES:

TRICORP HEADQUARTERS – THE NEXT DAY

9:00 AM

Manik turns up at the reception desk.

RECEPTIONIST: Welcome to TriCorp, sir. How may I help you?

MANIK: Good morning. Could you please show me the way to Trilok's cabin?

RECEPTIONIST: Of course, sir. But do you have an appointment?

MANIK: Yes.

RECEPTIONIST: One minute, sir. (dials Trilok's extension) Sir, one mister...

MANIK: Manik Malhotra. Innovative Systems.

RECEPTIONIST: (To Trilok) ... Manik Malhotra from Innovative Systems is here to see you (pauses for Trilok's response) He says he has an appointment (pauses again) Okay sir. Sure, sir. (hangs up, turns back to Manik) I'm sorry, Mr. Malhotra. Unfortunately, Mr. Chaurasia is engaged for the day.

MANIK: We had an appointment.

RECEPTIONIST: I understand, sir.

MANIK: Which part exactly?

RECEPTIONIST: (confused) Sir...?

MANIK: Which part did you understand? That TriCorp doesn't stand up to its promises and commitments? Or simply... that I had an appointment and must go back like a fool?

RECEPTIONIST: I'm extremely sorry, sir.

MANIK: Call your boss.

She hesitates.

MANIK: (firmly) Now.

She dials Trilok once again. Before she can say another word, Manik confiscates the phone.

TRILOK: (from the other end) Tell me, Rose.

MANIK: Manik Malhotra. We had an agreement last evening.

For a moment, Trilok is stunned.

TRILOK: (sternly) What is the meaning of all this?

MANIK: You tell me, Trilok. Why isn't the amount reimbursed to the company account yet?

TRILOK: So, what if it isn't? Is this how you handle it? Is this your idea of professionalism?

MANIK: So, what's your idea of professionalism, then? Committing to a task, failing to meet that commitment and then behaving as though it's not your problem?

TRILOK: What the hell do you think of yourself!!!?

MANIK: (glances at his watch) 9:10 AM, now. I'll give you till 9:30 AM to complete the transaction. If I don't have any intimation from my company's side, then, by 9:35, Carlson, RossMax, Shinde, Lloyd, Beatty and others will know about TriCorp's working style.

Trilok freezes stiff.

TRILOK: You...!

MANIK: Your time starts now.

He hangs up. He notices the receptionist ogle at him with awe and returns a smile.

MANIK: I'll wait here.

RECEPTIONIST: Sure, sir. No problem.

IN THE LOBBY – LATER

Manik glances at his watch – 9:25 AM

A pair of well-polished expensive shoes shuffle and come to a stop before him. Manik looks up.

A well-dressed, handsome guy in his early 30's, smiles down at him.

Manik's heart flutters. All what he did ever expect and imagine from that face is a twisted smirk. The smile he gets now derails him.

THE MAN: Hi. I'm Trilok.

Manik composes himself. Rises while glancing at his watch.

MANIK: Five more minutes.

Manik gets a call on his phone. He glances at Trilok who's still smiling.

TRILOK: You should answer that.

Manik answers the call.

MANIK: Yeah, Mehmood. Received? (his eyes shift to Trilok who's still smiling) Ok, great. Thanks. I'll see you later. (hangs up)

TRILOK: That was your accountant.

MANIK: Yes. Thank you so much your cooperation. I can leave now.

TRILOK: Oh. Not yet. There's something we need to talk about.

_________________