Chapter 4: Godfather

"I'm pregnant, Joe". "What", I ask her, "How long". "six weeks", she says. I run over and embrace her. "That's great news", I whisper to her. "Do the kids know", I ask. She shakes her head, "I haven't told them yet". "What's wrong", I ask her. "I'm scared, Joe", she tells me as a tear runs down the side of her cheek. I look at her confused, "Why are you scared". "This is our first baby since the war", she said. "It's going to be okay", I assure her. "But what if something happens and they take our baby away", she tells me sobbing. "They won't because there is not going to be anything wrong with the baby", I tell her. "But what if something does", she sobbed. "If something does we will figure it out then", I commanded. I hug her and we head to the kitchen.

"Chris! Amy!", I hear her yell. "Coming", I hear them both yell. They rush down the stairs and start sitting at the table. I look over at Helen and she gives me a look. She sits down at the table. "Do you think your mother should have another child", I ask. "I wouldn't mind it", Chris responds. "Yeah, me neither", Amy says. "Well", I say. I look over to Chris and Amy. "Your mother might be a little pregnant", I say chuckling. "Are you going to tell the Fuhrer", Chris asks. "Not yet", I tell him. "You should. I think he really admires you and how you work hard to help the Reich and your family", he says. "You are too funny", I chuckle. "But yes, I am planning on telling him", I assure him. "You guys are not allowed to tell anybody about this until I say you can. Plus most likely this will be on international television", I say. "Yes, Father", they both reply. "I think it is time for bed now", Helen says. They get up and put the dishes away. Once the kids are in bed, Helen and I head to bed.

The next morning, I get up and pull out my uniform. I turn around and look at Helen start to get up from the bed. "Good Morning", I tell her. "Good Morning", she said. "I'm going to Berlin to tell the Fuhrer", I said. "Well, I figured I could go with. I bought this little bib from the store yesterday. I was thinking we could put this in a box and surprise the Fuhrer that way", she giggled to me. This bib had text that reads "Hello Godfather, I can't wait to meet you". "That is very creative", I said, "Sure, you and the kids can come with. But this will be broadcasted across the Reich". "Okay", she said.

We get to the airport and I can see Maven standing there. "Good Morning, Reichsmarschall Ryan", he says. "Maven, do you think the Fuhrer will like this", I ask as I open the box. His eyes open wide and his jaw dropped. He runs over to me and wraps me in his arms. "Congratulations, Sir", he says. "Thank you", I say laughing. He walks over to Helen and hugs her too. We all board the plane and find a place to sit.

When we arrive in Berlin, we get off the plane and are greeted by a driver. "This way, sir", Maven says. We get in the car and are driven to the Fuhrer's office in Berlin. When we arrive, I notice that the office looks a lot different. There is now a big dome right behind where the main building is. "Welcome to the Volkshalle", the driver says. I was amazed by what I saw. The architecture in the Reich truly amazed me. We step out of the car and are greeted by the Fuhrers 'helper'. "Reichsmarschall, Welcome to Berlin", he says. "I have something to show the Fuhrer", I tell him, "Which I think should be broadcasted internationally". "Yes, Sir. We actually have a crew that operates from the Volkshalle office. If you will please follow me", he responds.

He leads us to the waiting hall of the Fuhrer's office. I can see the camera crew is waiting, already recording. The helper opens the door and walks us into the Fuhrer's office. As I walk in, I can see the Fuhrer sitting at his desk. His helper raises his arm, "Mein Führer, ich habe einen Besucher aus Chicago, der Sie sehen möchte", which means, "Mein Fuhrer, I have a visitor from Chicago wishes to see you". My family and I walk over. I raise my arm. "Mein Fuhrer", I say. "Joe", he says excitingly, "Why are there cameras". "You will find out soon, Mein Fuhrer", I gesture. Helen walks over to the Fuhrer with the box, "Mein Fuhrer, if you would please open this box. There is a surprise inside for you". He takes the box and sets it on his table. "I like surprises", he says joyfully. He takes the lid off and sets it next to him. I see him reach in and pull out the bib. His eyes move across the bib as he reads the letters that are on the box. He gets up and I can see his eyes open wide. He walks over to me and embraces me and my wife. "Congratulations", he says, "I actually have a speech that I was going to give but I think I will revise it". 

I follow him over down the hall to a large door being protected by two guards. They open the door and I can see a massive room full of thousands of people. The Fuhrer walks up onto a podium and pulls out a piece of paper. In German he speaks, "Ich würde meine übliche Rede über Reichspolitik, unsere Operationen usw. halten, aber ich würde stattdessen eine letzte Änderung vornehmen. Ich muss eine sehr wichtige Ankündigung machen. Neben mir sehen Sie den Reichsmarschall von Nordamerika, Joseph Ryan und seine liebenswerte Familie. Die Reichsmarschall teilte mir heute mit, dass ihre Familie eine ganz besondere Ergänzung haben werde. In etwa neun Monaten werden der Reichsmarschall und seine Familie ein neues Familienmitglied haben. Der Reichsmarschall hat mir auch mitgeteilt, dass er mir mit seinem Respekt die Möglichkeit geben wird, der Pate des Kindes zu sein. Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!", which means, "I was going to give my usual speech talking about Reich politics, our operations, and so forth, but I would instead like to make a very last minute change. I have a very important announcement to make. As you can see next to me is Reichsmarschall of North America Joseph Ryan and his lovely family. Today, the Reichsmarschall informed me that their family was going to have a very special addition. In about nine months time, the Reichsmarschall and his family will have a new member of the family. The Reichsmarschall has also informed me that with his respect, will be giving me the opportunity to be the child's godfather. Sieg Heil!"