Chapter 5

Chapter 5

   Now with the two other foxes, they entered the camp. She shivered, scared, of all the stares.  Her pelt felt burned as all the eyes followed her as she walked. New scents covered her nose, some milky, others old.

   They climbed up a cliff, the tallest in the hollow. This must be where the chief sleeps. The chief had already exited her den, wondering what the commotion was.

   She narrowed her eyes, "SharpFang, who have you brought with you today?"

   In a stern voice, SharpFang replied, "My trainee and I found this young fox hiding in some shrubs. She said she knows of SapWood."

   The chief made a low growl, "How dare you lie!" Scarlett shrunk down. "Today is the day the trap would kill her. I would know because she was one of my best friends!"

   Scarlett's eyes teared up. "She never told me that." She mumbled out. "She made me leave early this morning, I—"

   "Never mind what I said." She Chief suddenly barked. "She always had a soft spot for pups and trainees. She was very wise as well. If SapWood thought you should come, then I will respect her choice. I will let you go to the ancient waterfall to see if the ancestors accept you."

   The foxes now gathered below the rock. One then barked, "That is a stupid choice, a weak trapped animal she is!"

   The Chief didn't get angry, instead of in a calm voice, she spoke, "I understand StormCloud. But especially in these times, we should accept any fox that could help this skulk. Now, we must let our ancestors decide for us."

   Scarlett moved her paw in the dirt awkwardly. But secretly, she was excited to visit the ancient waterfall.

   Voices started arguing in the crowd. The chief barked, "Silence! Now you. You are not officially a part of our skulk. That is why for now you are a prisoner until tonight. You will watch how we do things."

   Scarlett nodded. Others barked in agreement.

   "Then it is settled." The chief barked. "You will be a prisoner for today, then tonight she will visit the waterfall to see if she is accepted." The chief then gazed over her skull. Suddenly she barked, "WishFox!"

   She looked towards SharpFangs trainee. "You will watch over.. what's your name?" The chief asked.

   Scarlett mumbled out, "Scarlett."

   The chief spoke again, "You will watch over Scarlett today. As for everyone else, get back to your duties."

   The other foxes broke apart, doing their own things. Scarlett walked over to WishFox, he then signaled for her to follow him.

   They walked down the cliff, Scarlett following. They entered the main gathering place. They went over to a corner, where a small circle was outlined with rocks.

   WishFox shuffled nervously, "This is where you will stay until sundown."

   Scarlett nodded and sat down in the circle.

   WishFox gave an awkward smile, "you look hungry... I'll go get you something from the prey-pile."

   Scarlett nodded a thank you as he walked away.

  Scarlett watched as the same fox, that had hollered at the Chief, walked up to WishFox. She had a strange grey splotched pelt and grey eyes.

   The fox snickered at him, "you have to watch over the mangy trapped animal! You're weak just like SharpFang said!"

   WishFox suddenly spat back, "No she's not! Every fox has a better personality than you, StormCloud! Even AutumnSkulk and SummerSkulk, so watch your tongue!"

   StormCloud stepped back surprised. "You don't have to get so angry." She said looking disgusted. She flicked her tail at him then walked away. She heard her mumble, "Jeez."

   WishFox brings back a vole for her and put it in front of her. "Thanks," Scarlett said.

   "No problem," WishFox said politely.

   Scarlett shook her head, "No.. I mean— what you did back there. That was really nice."

   WishFox gave her a warm smile, "that's just how StormCloud is. She wants to make sure she's better, and she's very sassy. But in the end, she's a great fighter. You just have to ignore her sometimes."

   Scarlett sighed, "what did she mean by 'weak'?

   WishFox's head drooped. "SharpFang wish's I wasn't his trainee. He says stuff like, how I'm supposed to be strong, a good fighter... but I'm not. He makes fun of me for a girl, my sister for being better than me, when she has a so-called weak mentor."

   Scarlett licked his ear, "Don't worry about them. They shouldn't make fun of you when I'm here! I'm the weakest of all!"

   They laughed together, while Scarlett ate the vole.

WishFox then got up from where he was laying on the ground, "I'm going to make sure there are no bugs in any of the dens now, bye."

   "Bye!" Scarlett barked after him, as her new friend left towards a den.

   Scarlett curled up in the stone circle and closed her eyes. I hope StarSkulk accepts me, she thought, before falling asleep.