Chapter 1 // The Perfect Opportunity

Lena looked down at the screen in front of her, the news was playing on it. A press conference of her greatest rival, Morgan Edge. Ever since he tried to embarrass her in front of the most powerful people in National City, he began his plot to buy Catco, the place Kara worked at. As she regarded the news, Lena couldn't help but ignore everything that man said. All she could think about was Kara leaving her just like that. Missing all their planned events with weak excuses for the past three months. While Lena had become more independent, she still wanted to spend time with Kara, now, she just plotted on the moment Kara came back into her life, she would keep her... forever. She won't let go for a single second. Kara would be hers and hers only. A knock on the hardwood doors broke her focus on Edge's speech as she saw Kara walking in.

"Hey," Lena casually greeted. Lena looked back at the screen and watched the press briefing. "I hate that sentient bottle of cheap cologne."

Lena moved her screen away and looked Kara right in the eyes. Kara said "You know, James was blindsided, too. He thinks it's his fault for getting in Edge's face."

She set her bag on the ground and started to sit down when Lena spoke up again up.

"Only he would spend that kind of money on a grudge." Lena sighed and continued "Do you think the shareholders will listen to Cat?"

Kara let out a sigh and said "Well, Cat had to put her shares in a blind trust when she became Press Secretary, but I did some digging... and Edge has been quietly buying up shares until today," Lena stood up and walked towards the water carafe. She filled two glasses. "When he put a tender offer to the majority of shareholders."

With a glass in each hand, she turned around and joked "Hey, no more free press."

She walked towards Kara and gave her one of the glasses while Kara explained, "You have invested in his portfolio, so, I figured if you could talk to him, maybe persuade him?"

Lena offered Kara one of the glasses. She let out a long breath and said "Edge doesn't respect any opinion that isn't his own," Lena looked at her glass and put it down. "Especially from a woman."

"Lena," Kara quickly chimed in as she leaned back in her chair,"You helped Supergirl save the world, how hard could one stubborn sexist be?"

Lena grinned and nodded a little, "All right, I'll see what I can do."

Kara stood up, "Thanks."

As Kara began out of the door, Lena quickly followed her a couple of steps and called out, "Hey, stay a bit longer?" Lena gently pled, pulling her in close. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "Where've you been? I feel like you're not here anymore?"

Kara took off her glasses and placed them in her breast pocket, placing her fingers over the bridge of her nose. "I've just been busy."

"Right... um." Lena looked down, before looking back up into Kara's light blue eyes, "I also just- I wanted to say I'm sorry for the part I played in what happened to Mon-El. I'm here for you if you still want that," She lied.

Kara feigned a smiled and said, "No, you did what you had to do. Besides, that was Supergirl's call anyway, not yours." The screen on Lena's desk turned to something about some robbery and Kara pulled herself out of Lena's grasp, "I should get going."

"Yeah, uh, brunch soon?" Kara just nodded and walked out without a single word.

Lena sighed, she hadn't hoped for this. She just hoped that Kara would come around. She always did anyway, so why not now? Lena sat back down in her chair and grabbed her drink. She swirled the contents and muttered to herself.