Chapter 5 // Lead

It was like any other day as Lena walked back to her office when she heard James walk up next to her. "Ms. Luthor, um, you approved an advertorial on page six?"

Lena's expression turned into a smile at the nervous lilt in his voice. Without breaking from her destination, she retorted, "Is there a question coming?"

He clears his throat again, something she hated he did whenever he wanted to speak. Lena just wished that he would just talk, "I wish you would have told me first."

Lena looked at him and smirked "I didn't know ads were in your purview, Mr. Olsen."

"Well, they're not- not in my purview. It's not a big deal, it's just that if we're gonna disguise ads as articles I think that sends a bad message, you know? People wanna know what they're getting. They expect integrity from us."

They finally arrived at her office. "Seventy percent."

Confused he asked, "Excuse me?"

Lena continued on to explain, "That's the deep discount on our print subscription rate. Seventy percent. That's what it takes just to get people to read. So I think an ad here and there is a necessary evil." From the corner of her eye she saw somebody walking in. James chuckled awkwardly but luckily for Lena there as a knock on the door.

"Everything okay?" Kara's voice made her quickly turn.

She smiled and said, not breaking eye contact with James, "Yeah."

"Absolutely." James curtly affirmed before he cleared his damn throat again, she just wanted to choke him now.

Kara walked closer to them to break up their conversation, "Good, uh, James, I just came in to check and see if-" She stopped in the middle of her sentence so Lena raised an eyebrow. "Actually, I think you're gonna wanna turn up the TV." Lena turned towards the screen, Morgan Edge.

While James turned up the volume Lena said almost through gritted teeth "What's that scumbag doing in my hospital?" Morgan Edge started to talk about lead poisoning and children. But she couldn't have done this, could she? "I've gotta get down there."

Kara quickly followed her down, speeding out of the office, leaving James alone to watch the report. They raced to the elevator, not a word spoken between them as Kara quickly texted Sam and Lena continued to watch the report on her phone. They ran into Lena's car and sped through the surface streets to her building.

At the hospital, they met Sam and Morgan Edge, that bastard accused her, but something isn't right. He used an example that was unique, he thought about it too much, but when the three of them walked into her office at Catco Kara finally spoke up.

"There must be another explanation."

"There could be hundreds of other reasons why there kids are getting sick besides your device," Sam followed up.

Kara sat down on one couch and Sam on the other, Danvers just keep on standing, watching the screen "I mean, Edge is manipulating people to get revenge on you buying Catco." She sat back down, that was the first time Lena looked up since entering the room. In her thoughts on what had happened, she forgot that there were others with her,"He's ruthless, Lena, you know that."

"But what if it's true, okay? I told Supergirl that the lead in the device was safe for humans. She wouldn't have used it if it wasn't safe," Lena snapped, hugging herself.

"Yes, but using it saved all of us," Sam tried, knowing that by those terms, it really was her boss' fault.

Suddenly she heard that awful guy speak up "Ms. Luthor."