Chapter 10 // Domesticated

The day after Lillian's arrest, Lena went to visit Kara with Alex and Sam to look over her CFO's health bill. After a brief greeting, they gathered around her couch, four glasses of wine already poured by the time they sat down. Alex and Sam were only there for a brief moment, but it only took a quick look over for them to find out that there wasn't anything wrong with her that the doctors could find. They were all equally concerned about their friend because the report was wrong, there was something wrong, something more physical than just psychological. Alex escaped, gulping down her wine as a message from J'onn came in, and Sam left to take care of Ruby.

Once the door closed behind her, Kara and Lena set down their partially empty wine glasses. Kara rested against the arm of her couch while Lena leaned back between her legs, intertwining their fingers. It was nice to just be like this. Hours a day without showing affection took a toll on their relationship especially when Kara was dressed up as Supergirl. In the constantly tense air from Lillian and Edge's arrests, it was even harder for Lena to focus on this moment when they were together.

Even the movie, Kara's gentle kisses, and tender touches weren't enough of a distraction. She closed her eyes and focused on her girlfriend's heartbeat, tuning out the movie. Kara must have realized that they both weren't focused on the film because she turned down the volume and wrapped her arms around Lena's shoulders.

The door swung open, breaking their silence and shocking both women. Alex walked in, gripping her phone in her hand to show them a picture of them kissing.

"Kara, what the hell? Oh, Lena, you're still here"

"We-we can explain," Kara defended, slipping out from under her. "I mean, we're dating, and have been for a while, but-"

"And you forgot to tell me?"

Lena sat up, looking at Alex, "We agreed to not tell anyone, good to see she kept her word." She then cocked up an eyebrow and crossed her arms, "So, was there another reason you came by?"

Alex looked at her and bashfully shrugged, nodding, but then shaking her head, "I mean, I would've liked to know about your relationship, I'm her sister. But in a matter of privacy, I respect that you guys didn't want it to become public apparently the picture was released or taken yesterday."

Lena nodded, "Well, as I said, I asked Kara to keep this quiet, but I would love for you to leave so we can continue with our movie night. Tomorrow you have Kara because I'm planning for a late night at L-Corp, goodbye," she ended in a very firm and final tone.

Alex nodded and backed out of the apartment, closing the door behind herself and leaving the couple alone. Lena grabbed the back of Kara's sweatshirt and tugged her back, knowing she didn't have the real strength to pull her off balance, but enjoying the way Kara fell back into the couch. She placed a soft peck on Kara's jaw and then another longer one on her lips.

"That's uh... that was pretty impressive," Kara smirked, as she reached for the remote and turned the volume back up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lena had been running around L-Corp all day, so when she got a call from Kara, she was surprised to feel like it was one of the last things she wanted while she was working. She picked it up, starting with their usual greeting before going into a quick explanation.

"So, I gave Sam the day off, so I'm sorry that I sound a bit... stressed or rude. If you want to talk about something in length then I suggest coming over." Lena took a quick breath, waiting a while for a response, but nothing came. "Hey, Kara, are you there?"

"Yeah, sorry, I was thinking about something. Um, but I'll be there in fifteen."

When Kara ended the call, Lena looked down and put her heads in her hands. Giving Sam the day off meant that she couldn't be with her love. She probably didn't even have time to go out for lunch with her, she would have to stay in and do all of the work that Sam did. Even in her busy moments, though, Lena felt like her mind continued to wander. While they had imprisoned the two big bads in Lena's life, there was still the problem of Reign, the reason why Lena made that damned suit in the first place. There were only a few reports since the initial fight between Kara and her, but Reign was still going to be a problem in the near future and they had to stop her before anything else serious occurred.

A gentle knock on her door broke her thoughts. She called them in as she reorganized her papers. Kara walked into the large office holding up a bag from Big Belly Burger, Lena's favorite fast food joint in National City. She was probably so visibly stressed out on the phone that her girlfriend knew that she'd want this. Kara closes the door behind herself and walked further into the office until she was standing next to Lena. She set the bag down on the small corner of her glass desk that wasn't covered by papers before she places a gentle peck on her forehead. Together they sat down on the couch and began feasting on their meal.

Suddenly, Kara spoke up, "So, we've found someone who knows about Reign. A woman named Julia Freeman, she calls herself Purity."

"Great, good, finally a step closer, right?"

"Yeah."

Lena let another moment of silence pass between them before finally saying, "Something's really wrong with Sam. I have no idea what, but we need to find out."

Kara hummed in response when both of their phones started ringing. Lena grabbed her phone and excused herself.

Lena walked to the balcony and asked, "Sam! What can I do for you?"

A very distraught Ruby spoke up "Mom's gone, she-she was here and now she's just gone."

"It's okay Ruby, where are you? I'll come to get you."

"I'm at the ice rink, please come quickly."

Lena sighed when she heard Kara break the sound barrier, so that meant she was gone, doing whatever she needed to do. "I will, darling, I will." She raced out of her office, quickly saying to Jess, "I won't be back, make sure Sam's assistants pick up her work." She raced to the garage and to the ice rink. She ran through the crowd, calling out, "Ruby! Ruby!" She looked around, finding her on a bench looking at her phone. Lena ran over to her, kneeling in front of her, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Ruby nodded, visibly shaking.

"Sweetheart, what happened?" Lena calmly asked.

"I turned around and she was gone," she explained, searching again for her.

"Honey, I'm sorry, your mom's just... going through a lot, it's all going to be okay."

Ruby looked down at the table and said, "This isn't okay. She was so excited to hang out today and then she just disappeared. It's like when she went on this big trip, but when she got back, she acted like she hadn't been anywhere."

"She didn't remember?"

"Yes, there's something wrong! I don't know what, but something! It's like she's a completely different person."

"Ruby, I know it's scary, okay, but we'll find out what's going on and help her. Stay with Kara and me until we find her."

"Okay," she nodded, standing up with Lena and walking to her car.

~~~~~~~~~~

They never really found Sam, she just sort of showed up with no memory of where she disappeared to. She had agreed to let Ruby stay with her boss and Danvers, unsure if the next thing she might not remember would end up putting her daughter in harm's way.

Lena sat in her L-Corp office, finishing her call with Sam- who was currently with Ruby in her apartment- and continued on the work she had put off to her CFO's assistants the day before. After the different signs, Lena felt it safe to say that Sam was Reign. She shared the same symptoms with Julia Freeman. She forgot many moments throughout the day and disappeared at random times. She looked at her phone and scrolled through her contact list to Kara, texting to her, "Emergency". Within a second, Kara stood in on the balcony in her traditional suit.

"What's wrong?" She asked, standing in the doorway.

"Sam- Is Reign."

Edited by: AfY2018