Chapter 12-Melanie

(December)

My fourth period class is in the middle of a discussion on Greek mythology when my classroom phone rings. I pick it up, and it's Miss Fillam in the front office.

"Hi, Mrs. Jamerson. We've got a small situation, and I was hoping you could tell me if your daughter is there with you in your classroom."

"No, she's not here." I shake my head, even though I know Miss Fillam can't see me. I pause to remember which class Jamie has right now. "She should be in the band room," I say.

"Well, apparently, she asked Mrs. Church if she could go to the nurse's office, but she never showed up."

"How do you know that? Where else could she be?" I ask defensively. Are they keeping tabs on students now? Do they have her hooked up to a GPS tracker or something?

"I guess Jamie left something in the band room, and Mrs. Church sent a student to drop it off. The student said Jamie wasn't there." I sigh. This sounds like a very bad game of Telephone.

"Okay, well, thanks for the information," I tell her. "Let me find someone to watch my class, and I'll go see if I can locate Jamie." I hang up the phone, and my students have stopped their discussion. They are staring at me, and I start to laugh.

"Apparently, my daughter is playing hide and seek today!" I tell them because I know they've heard my conversation.

"Want me and Kobe to go look for her?" One of my students yells.

"It's 'Kobe and me,'" I correct him. "And, no, Trenten, I do not want you to go anywhere. I want you all to continue your discussion. Please." I walk to the door and look out in the hallway. Vice-Principal Voccetti just happens to be coming out of a neighboring classroom. "Hey, Ms. Voccetti," I say to get her attention. She turns and walks toward me. "I'm really sorry, but is there any way you could watch my class for me for a few minutes? There's a minor situation with my daughter that I'd like to go take care of right away." Ms. Voccetti looks at her watch and smiles at me.

"Sure, I have some time before my meeting," she says. "Is everything okay with Jamie?" We've known each other for several years, and I've always had a good relationship with her.

"Yeah, I think so," I say. I quickly tell her what the students are doing, grab my purse and keys just in case, and head down the hallway to try and find Jamie. First, I want to stop by Tony's office and see if he can help me. I round the corner by the cafeteria and almost walk into my daughter who is just standing there in the hallway. "Jamie!" She turns around and looks at me with surprise.

"Mom!" She gives me a hug, and I see Tony walking toward us. "I'm so glad to see you!" Jamie says as she's still holding me tightly. I give Tony an inquisitive look, but he just shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head.

"Why don't the three of us step inside my office for a few minutes?" Tony suggests. I must admit, the three of us make a rather strange scene standing in the middle of the hallway.

"That's a good idea," I tell him as we walk into his office. Tony takes a seat at his desk, and Jamie and I take the other two chairs. "Tony, will you please call the front office and tell them Jamie and I are here with you?"

While Tony picks up the phone, Jamie looks at me.

"Why does he need to call the front office?" She asks in a whisper.