A Sweet Lie

A Sweet Lie

Note: This chapter has a phone message format.
"Be cautious with unfamiliar individuals. Genuine love cannot flourish solely through digital interactions; it necessitates personal experiences and direct connections."

Anika's POV:

I logged into my dummy account, Luna Writes, where I post my poems. I was busy replying to comments when a notification popped up.

"Devon Writes sent you a friend request"

I accepted his request, and shortly after, a message appeared.

Devon Writes

Hi, I've read your work, and it's amazing. Applause! I hope we can be friends :)

Thank you for reading, and yes, I'd be happy to be your friend.

Months passed, and I grew closer to Dev. He came to know me well, even my real name. I also learned that his real name was Luke. We became best friends, chatting and talking on the phone regularly. I felt comfortable with him; he made me happy. We even had a callsign: behluv. I'm not sure where he got that quirky idea from—he said it was like calling a baby with love. Over time, I found myself falling for him. I kept it a secret, afraid to jeopardize our friendship. I didn't want to lose him.

Then one day, everything changed when he messaged me.

Devon Writes

Anika?

Did you just call me by my real name instead of our callsign? Is something wrong?

Can I court you?

I was taken aback. I couldn't believe it. It felt like a dream—he liked me back!

Devon Writes

I like you too! And yes, you can court me!

Really? I love you so much, love.

I'll save my "I love you too" for later, haha. When I say it, it means that I'm saying yes!

I'm willing to wait, mi amor.

Months passed, and with the new year approaching, I planned to answer Luke precisely at midnight. I wanted to start the new year with him.

Devon Writes

(12:00 am)

Happy new year behluv!

I have something to say.

Happy New Year too, behluv! What were you going to say?

Yes!

Yes?

I love you too!

O.O

Yes, mi amor. We're together now :)

I love you so much Anika. You make me so happy.

I love you too, my love. You make my universe glow.

Time flew by quickly. Today is our fifth monthsary. Luke has never made me feel unloved during these months. He's been loyal, even though we only know each other through our online personas. He's incredibly sweet and understanding. I can say he is the perfect guy for me. To celebrate our fifth monthsary, we decided to meet at a mall. We didn't know each other's faces or full names until now. But we didn't let that bother us; love isn't about appearances or names—it's about accepting someone for who they are.

Mi amor <3

Mi amor? I'm already here. I'm wearing a white dress. Where are you? Be careful! I love you.

Love, I'm sorry, but I can't make it. Something came up.

What a shame. I was looking forward to meeting you, but it's okay.

I can send you my picture if you really want to see my face.

(Mi amor sent you a picture)

You look so handsome! I'll send mine too.

(You sent a picture to Mi amor)

Are you a fairy? O.O

Stop flattering me, haha. I'm going home now. Happy monthsary. I love you!

Happy monthsary to us.. I love you as well!

I left the mall and got into a taxi. As I was gazing out the window, I saw Luke! I quickly hailed a cab, paid, and hurried to the park where I knew he'd be. My heart was racing—I just knew it was him. I ran towards him, eager to embrace him.

"Luke!" He looked at me, his eyes widening. I hugged him tightly, my smile stretching from ear to ear.

"A-nika." He pulled away from me without returning the hug. I was confused.

"Yes, love, it's me! Anika!" I smiled and pointed to myself to show him it was really me.

"What are you doing here?!" he asked angrily, looking around.

Tears welled up in my eyes. Was it wrong to want to meet the person who made me so happy?

"Babe?" A mestiza woman approached Luke and kissed his cheek.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Happy 7th monthsary to us!" She hugged Luke in front of me.

I was stunned. What? Seven months?

"Happy monthsary to you too, babe. Wait here, okay? I'll get ice cream for us. I'll be back." Luke kissed the girl in front of me.

I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. Luke looked at me, his eyes signaling me to follow him. Before I knew it, I was trailing behind him, away from the girl he had just kissed.

Once we were alone, he faced me.

"I'm breaking up with you," he said bluntly. He seemed so different from the Luke I had come to know. It felt like all our shared happy memories had been erased.

"B-but why?" I let the tears fall freely.

"You were just a pastime. Who would believe in real love in a fake world? Only you," he sneered, then turned and walked away.

I collapsed to the ground, overwhelmed by the pain. What was I to this girl? She was the one he chose, the one who was real while I was just a façade. How foolish I was to believe in genuine love in a pretend world.

"I experienced genuine happiness, even if it was only through phone conversations. I cherished memories filled with tears and smiles. Your endless 'I love you's that brightened my days, and your sweet words that made my life happier—little did I know, it was all just a sweet lie," I said as I watched him walk away.