Lost Sparkle

Sunrise is the most breathtaking view your eyes can take in. Especially when the morning comes and the sparkling sea makes it a dream come true scenery.

I was sitting by the seashore, watching the sun rise to the sky. Its rays hit the sea and made it sparkle and glitter. I won't get tired of seeing this everyday; this kind of scenery can wipe all the pain away.

"Sparkle, your father, the Datu, and the rest of the tribe are waiting for you. We will have a celebration for the sparkling sea gave us countless blessings!" Grandmother called me.

"I'm coming, Grandmother!" I glanced at the sparkling sea once again. You're not just a beauty but a blessing to us. You gave sparkle in our lives.

When I arrived, I saw my tribe dancing around a fire. Some were preparing the fishes and crabs they got from the sea. Corals were everywhere as designs; it's sparkling! But there's nothing sparkling more than the sweet smiles of everyone as they saw me. I love my tribe so much! I walked towards them as cheerful as I could be.

"Sparkle! You really never disappoint us in making everyday a sparkly day. Your smile makes us sparkle", one of the army men said as he gave me his most alluring smile.

"My baby, my sparkle." Mother and father called me. I ran towards them and gave them my tightest hug.

"I love you mother. I love you father" I said as I kissed both of their cheeks.

"Baby, do you know why we named you Sparkle?", mother asked suddenly while caressing my hair.

"I don't know mother. Why?", I asked, full of curiosity.

"Our tribe was at its worst during that time. The sea didn't give us many blessings, and everyone was in hunger and pain." Father said to me. Pain was visible in his eyes as he recalled the past. It's been hard for the Datu to watch his people in pain.

"But then your mother gave birth to you. She gave birth to you when the sun rose to the sparkling sea. The sparkles welcomed you and the tribe gave you their sparkling eyes full of happiness. You made the tribe stand up once again and here we are celebrating the blessings it gave us. That's why the tribe loves you so much." Father continued and I could also see his eyes sparkling with joy.

The night was deep and I couldn't sleep. I decided to go to the shore and watch the moon with the sparkling sea.

Even at night, you still shine so bright.

I was enjoying the scenery when my eyes gazed at a sparkling thing in the sea. I didn't hesitate to swim in the depth of it. Desperation was visible in my eyes and I wanted to know what the sparkling thing was! I was closer to that thing when I felt the calm water become harsh. The current was uncontrollable so I swam up to know what was happening. My eyes went wide when I saw that the seashore was shaking. The water was receding from the shore and that only meant one thing; a tsunami was coming! I did my best to swim back to the shore but the water current was much stronger. I called for help but I was too far from the tribe. I could see the fires in the tribe; people were panicking everywhere. I did my best to swim but a big wave pushed me down and a big coral hit my head then everything went black.

-

"I'm sorry, Datu."

After the incident, we didn't see our little sparkle again. My army did their best to find her but to no avail.

No one knew that the beauty of something can kill.

The tribe that was full of happiness and laughs are all gone. Tears are sparkling in their eyes.

The sparkling sea got her. She's our lost sparkle.