0.3 | when...

III

❝날리는 눈이 나라면 조금 빨리 네게닿을 있을 텐데...
If I was the flying snow, I could've reached you a little faster...

°․~❅ ~ ❀ ~ ❅~․°

The paper in her hand slowly wrinkled as the salty tears accenting her eyelashes and cheekbones couldn't hold on no longer. The words, "In Loving Memory," blurred with the names that followed—Love Petropoulos and Rosalinda Michaela Torres.

Those names, though quickly becoming a grey smudge on paper, screamed at her burning eyes. She was surrounded by their family, friends, and anyone who'd known and loved them—which was, essentially, the entirety of their small hometown. They had know the two as two thirds of the inseparable friend group that the community loved.

Inseparable. That word could no longer apply to them. They were supposed to be inseparable, but it seems the drunk driver that crashed into their car didn't understand that.

As she thought of those names and what they meant to her, the remaining one third began to drift off into memories.

When they had first met during a petty 7th grade fight, having been pit against each other.

When they became best friends the next year, thanks to their science teacher who now sat in a pew behind the reminiscing girl.

When they eventually graduated, all in the top ten together.

When they got accepted into the same university and lived together.

When they would have petty arguments and apologetic movie marathons instead of studying.

Their time in college together—which had ended only months ago—were the most bold, vivid memories. The most repeating scenes were those of when she last saw them.

She was hugging her rose at the train station, trying to keep her shivering under control in the cold building. Knowing that she wouldn't see Rosy for months, she squeeze the tall woman once more and let go.

"I love you, Nua! Stay warm, please. I don't know when I'll see you again, and in case it's already fall, you need to bundle up and keep your thyroid in check so I don't have to worry," warned Rosy as she grasped her friend by the shoulders and gave her a serious look.

The sweater-clad girl could already feel a shiver as her best friend let her shoulders go to pick up her bags. She forced it to stop as she smiled and nodded, saying, "I love you, too, Rosy! I'll try. Be safe, please."

Rosalinda nodded and gave her a kiss on the cheek before turning around and walking into the small boarding crowd. With the last glance of her long, black hair, the strong shiver she had held back ripped through her body and settled in her chest with a cold stomp.

Her mind ripped that scene away to the last time she saw Love, that familiar frigid chill settling in her heart once again as she was surrounded by the families of her brother and sister.