iron may 5

I am sorry that it's taking so long, but I have a very busy period in my life.

Words: 788

TW: none

It was a really bad day.

You weren't a hero like others here. You were just a normal citizen with normal work and normal life. Alright, maybe not that normal life, since its rare to anybody to live with a bunch of overgrown children who just happened to save the world multiple times. But you get the point.

It was stressful to say at least. Besides the regular job you also took upon yourself looking after the Avengers, making sure everything is functional and clear in the Tower and being additional help during some undercover missions. You weren't an agent or anything, you just weren't as much as recognisable. Also, you sometimes kept Pepper company during her business trips and going with her to the events.

You could go with Tony, but he often had other things to do. He was a genius, superhero and owned a multi-million dollar company. And happened to be the main inventor of the stuff they sell.

You knew that you weren't supposed to feel that way about all of that, but it really hurt. It hurt that you were neglected, that you never spent as much time as you wanted with your lover.

You tried to keep a smile on your face, but soon you will meet your breaking point. You just couldn't continue this relationship. It was crushing you.

Sighing, you let the warm streaks of water consume you. It's warmth comforted you and caused your muscles to relax. You wished that it would also clean up your mind from your thoughts, but sadly it didn't happen.

Focused on your problems, you didn't hear Tony entering the bathroom, or getting into the shower with you. You only felt a pair of arms slowly making their way around your waist. You panicked a little, but seeing that it was your beloved one caused a wave of calmness makes its way through your body.

"What are you doing?" You asked quietly, reaching for shampoo.

"Just existing" he muttered, his voice muffled by the skin on your neck.

He sounded tired and somewhat sad. It didn't get unnoticed and added to your worries.

"What's wrong?"

"Everything" his voice cracked and it rarely does.

You turned to face him.

Tony had big bags under his chocolate brown eyes, at least bigger than usual. His orbs were filled with fear and... was that desperation?
Brown hair, now wet, stuck to his face, making him look more miserable. And despite water all around you, you noticed that he was in fact crying.

Your hand made its way to his cheek and caressed it. He leaned into it, his arms bringing you closer and strengthening their grip. He suddenly put his head on your shoulder, his whole body shaking.

"I can't, I can't..." Are repeated again and again.

Breaking into sobs, he seemed so vulnerable and fragile. It wasn't a panic attack, it was something different.

You knew that Tony had a tendency to bottle up emotions, but you thought that everything was okay. He was too good at hiding his pain. You still had to learn how to notice signs.

You hugged him back, petting his damp hair softly.

"I can't do that anymore... It's too much-" suddenly you understood.

While you could go on for a while, he reached his breaking point. You weren't shocked that it happened, but more by how it happened and when.

But he had a way more on his shoulders than you. He had company, he was an Avenger and inventor. Everyone wanted him to do too much for his good and still blamed him for being selfish. And now this whole situation with the Accords and Steve. It simply was too much to handle.

Your earlier thoughts became selfish. How could you want to leave him in that situation? You couldn't just throw him over like that. It wasn't what a human would do.

Your fingertips trailed across the skin on his back. You felt his muscles and they were tense. His whole body was exhausted by the situation, and you guessed that his mind was in the same situation.

"Shhh, I'm here. I'm here"

After some time he calmed down a little, so now there were just some tears leaking down his cheeks, mixing with hot water. Taking the shampoo in one hand and petting his hair by other, you started to wash him calmly, smiling softly at him, as you were trying to say that it's okay, we are okay.

After the bath, you both changed in some comfortable clothes and laid down on your bed. The moment his head touched the mattress, he fell asleep. You made yourself more comfortable and kissed his forehead.

"It's okay"