Chapter Two: Enter Iron Man

Tony Stark paced back and forth across the floor of his private office at the top of Avengers tower. His deepest fears had been confirmed. Peter Parker had changed for the worse and he felt like it was his fault. He, Tony Stark, Iron Man, the one father-figure in the kid's life, hadn't done anything to help him cope after recent events and he also had failed to check up on him every few days to make sure he was doing alright in general.

   He blamed himself deeply and was currently trying to devise a plan to get Peter away from his life for a few days when Pepper entered the room. He barely noticed her, but that didn't stop her from directly approaching him and handing him a drink.

   "You need this. Also, this isn't your fault, Tony. Peter's a Teenager. You can't predict his emotions any more than he can."

   "Thanks for the 'pep' talk, (A/N: If you get it, you get it.) but this is much bigger than an emotional weekend hiding in his bedroom. He's...he's cutting everyone out. He's damaged. The worst of it is his hot aunt."

   "Excuse me?"

   "I mean his attractive in a friendly, purely platonic way, aunt."

   "Better."

   "Anyway, Peter trusted her before she found out he was Spider-Man. Now, if I'm not mistaken, that trust is broken. I don't know if he even trusts me."

   "There's only one way to find out." Pepper handed him her cell phone. "Call him."

   "I-I'm afraid." Pepper kissed him softly and placed a hand on his shoulder.

   "You're never alone."

   Tony slowly dialed the dreaded number. The line rang and rang and rang until--" Mr. Stark?"

   "Peter? Um, do you want to come and stay for a few days at Avengers tower?"

   "Did Ned call and give Happy my whole life story?"

   "N-no..." Tony faltered. This new Peter may have been apathetic and deeply unaware of the people he was hurting, but he had a clever way of reading people that reminded Tony of Loki. He decided on the truth, "Yes, he did. Do you still want to come?"

   "Yes. When will Happy be here?"

   "Uh, I'll send him down there now."

   "See you soon." The phone line clicked.

   "That wasn't so hard, was it?" Pepper kissed his cheek.

   "And yet I have a feeling that the worst is yet to come."

   Peter began to pack his backpack as soon as he had gotten off of the phone. He didn't know how long he would be gone, but he hoped it was a while. The house had become oppressive in the past few weeks. It had swallowed him alive and he was groping in the darkness. He just wanted out.

   "Peter, what are you doing?" Aunt May entered his bedroom, arms crossed.

   "Mr. Stark is letting me stay at Avengers Tower. Let me guess, I can't go."

   "You..." She bit her lip.

   "You, what?"

   "Nevermind. Just, I love you, Peter."

   "Yeah, sure you do."

   "What do you want? Your suit back? You can have it! I want my Peter back. Is that too much to ask?"

   "That Peter is gone. I'll see you around, I guess."

    As he left, Aunt May sobbed to herself, "What have I done to my nephew?"

   Happy, who was never happy, was driving Peter Parker to Avengers Tower. The moody teen was in the back seat of the car with his hood up and his phone out.

   "Do you need anything, Mr. Parker?" He asked sarcastically.

   "Why are you trying to be happy? You're never happy."

   "Listen, kid, don't go mouthing off to me. Just because you decided to go off the deep end, doesn't mean that you get to talk to me like that. Get out." The car pulled to a stop.

   Peter got out of the car without a word. Happy looked at the lone figure leaving in his side view mirror. Although he has been harsh with the kid, Happy was actually worried about him.

   "Hello, Peter."

   "Hey, Pepper."

   "Tony's on the 58th level in lab 4c."

   Peter nodded and got onto the elevator. Pepper cast him a worried glance before hurrying off. Peter always took the stairwell. Always.