Chapter Nine: Peter Parker, Allied Soldier

Peter had spent weeks working for the American government and he was tired. Tired of fighting, tired of taking orders, and most of all, tired of being in the 20th century. He missed Mr. Stark and all of his friends. He missed cell phone service.

He had been going on anti-Nazi missions constantly. Not that he resented that: He felt proud to serve his country and be a part of its history. He just felt like he and his powers were being used and abused.

One night Peter was sitting on the hard bed that had been provided as sufficient resting space for America's one and only 'super soldier'.

Colonel Phillips walked in briskly and yelled: "Parker!"

Peter jumped up immediately and yelled back, "Yes, sir?!" The Colonel's yelling was akin to MJ's 'Hey losers!' stunt she used to pull on the bus in Queens. All of that seemed to have happened very long ago and yet if you thought about time travel correctly none of that had even happened yet.

"Parker, we have news. Red Skull has been found dead. He's a shriveled up shell now."

Peter couldn't believe his ears. Yes, they had been fighting Nazis, but more than that they had been fighting Red Skull's Nazis.

A thought popped into Peter's head. "Could Steve have killed him?"

"What, that pathetic kid you had with you when we first met? I doubt he could break a stick with his bare hands!" He had a point.

"Who then?"

"Don't know, don't care. The point is that now we can focus on Hitler. Red Skull was a useless distraction. Now we can focus on the real enemy."

"Ok. When's the next mission?" Peter knew the colonel all too well.

"That's the spirit. In roughly thirteen minutes. Get ready, kid."

"Where are we headed?"

"Berlin." Peter groaned internally. Here we go again.

_____

Peter boarded a plane roughly thirteen minutes later and took a seat. The only other person present besides the pilot was Agent Carter. In previous weeks she had functioned more like his handler than like an agent. Peter could tell she resented that.

"Alright, Parker. You're jumping out of the plane when we're directly above Berlin. Your job is to kill General Hermann Göring. Any questions?"

Something registered in Peter's brain and his mental sirens started going off. "Wait, wait, WAIT! Kill?! I'm not killing anyone!"

"Yes. You are. We are working out an entirely methodical strategy aiming to take out all of Hitler's generals one by one. Now put your mask on."

"No! I'm not killing anyone!"

Agent Carter sighed with an air of superiority. "I told Colonel Phillips you couldn't do it. Look at you. You're just a child!"

"Is this because you think you can do my job better?!"

"No, of course not."

"Don't lie."

"Fine, yes! I could do it a thousand times better and you know it and I know it, yet here we are! So put your mask on!"

"No!" A loud thud sounded on top of the plane. "What was that?"

The agent looked up fearfully and said, "Put your mask on...now."

This time Peter complied. He was ready for a fight. Then, the plane door swung open. Peter's breath caught in his chest. The rushing wind felt suffocating. Then something happened that made his breath catch in his chest even more.

Captain America entered the plane and shut the door behind himself. Then he waved as if this was as normal walking down the street. "Hey, what's up?"

"Captain America?"

Agent Carter looked disgusted. "Don't tell me you're another one of those self-righteous superhero types!" She sent a passive-aggressive glance Peter's way.

"No, not really, ma'am."

She cocked and eyebrow. "He's polite too. So, who are you?"

"I don't wanna scare you."

"Do I look like I scare easily?"

It was Peter's turn to be disgusted. Were they actually flirting? Right now?

"No, not really." He pulled his mask off.

Peter followed suit and pulled off his mask as well. "Steve?!"

"Hey, Peter."

"But-but you're taller..." He began to subconsciously circle his friend.

"Don't do that, Parker." Carter seemed impressed with Steve. She smiled at him sweetly and said, "Would you be willing to go on a mission for the American government?"

"Yeah, I love America." Peter threw up a little in his mouth. Was Cap really that cringy?