Chapter Eight: Where is Peter Parker?

The next morning, MJ got up and got ready for school. Everthing was normal and as it should be. Except, you know, the fact that Peter was a raging emo or (though she didn't know this at the time) that said emo was currently in the wrong century. But normal is relative and everything's fine. Right?

   On the bus, MJ sat right behind Ned and she was about to say something to him, when she realized that something was off. Ned was sitting in front of her, but where was Peter?

   Ned looked back at a very confused MJ. "I don't know where Peter is! I called his house, but his aunt said he wasn't there and hung up."

   "Something's wrong. Ok, Ned. We need to pull a Peter Parker and disappear right after first period. We need to check in with his aunt and maybe... Who else does the loser know?"

   Ned bit his lip. He couldn't let MJ find out about Spider-Man. "Uh, maybe, that internship thing or whatever? Y'know. Tony Stark...or whatever."

   "Yeah, ok."

   Ned congratulated himself on his clearly flawless and smooth execution.

   MJ rolled her eyes. "Hey Ned, is the loser Spider-Man?" MJ had refrained from calling Ned a loser ever since Peter had been a jerk to him. It just didn't seem right to her.

   Ned panicked. "Uh, I have no idea what you're talking about!" His voice was all choked up.

   "Ok, now that I know for sure, does that have to do with his disappearance?"

   Ned shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe."

Later on, after first period, MJ and Ned snuck off of their high school campus to find out where Peter was.

   "So Ned, how long have you known that Peter is, you know, a freaking superhero?"

   "Um, not that long? A few months at most, I think."

   "Oh." MJ thought it was uncharacteristic for the old Peter to have kept something like that from his best friend. How much time had come in between when Peter had become Spider-Man and when Ned had found out about it?

   They arrived at Peter's house and realized that his aunt wasn't home. "What now, MJ?"

    MJ bit her lip and thought. If they broke into Peter's house they wouldn't be arrested, right? She tried the front door but it didn't budge. She muttered to herself incoherently.

   "Uh, MJ? What are you doing?"

   "Breaking in."

   "Cool. You could also just use the key under the doormat...just saying."

   MJ rolled her eyes and removed the key from its hiding place. When she inserted it into the lock the door clicked and swung open easily. "Loser," she muttered under her breath.

   As they entered the house, MJ headed straight for Peter's room and began to search it.

   "Uh, MJ?"

   "Huh?"

   "How did you know where Peter's room was?"