Chapter Seven: The Test

Almost an hour later, they arrived at their destination: an old, abandoned warehouse. They got out and stared up at the terrifying structure. Peter's stomach gave a sharp twist. What would they do to him?

    Agent Carter knocked on a steel door. For a moment there was no response.

   "Listen, Agent Carter. I don't know-" Peter began.

   "Hush." The agent put her hand up to silence him.

   She listened at the door for a few more seconds, then--the sounds of clanking metal. The door swung open quickly, forcing Peter and Steve to jump back. They tripped over one another, and in their attempts to stay standing both landed hard on the ground.

   The metal sounds had apparently been a series of heavy locks and bolts on the inside. What kind of run-down warehouse needed heavy security like that?

   The man who had opened the door stood looking down at Peter and Steve. "What is this, Agent?" He demanded harshly.

   Peggy looked at the fallen pair, regretful that they hadn't made some sort of triumphant entrance. She swallowed. "Your supersoldier and his...associate."

   "I didn't ask for a couple of scrawny kids. I asked for a real man."

   "But Dr. Erskine asked for-"

   "I don't care what he asked for! This is my operation! Need I remind you, he doesn't know about this?!"

   "Please, Colonel Phillips. Just, observe his fighting abilities. For at least a few minutes."

   "Fine."

   Peter was dragged through a high-tech facility (for its time) by Agent Carter. Finally, they arrived at a door. Peter stared at it. "Go in, Mr. Parker."

   "Do I have to?"

   "Yes." And she opened the door and pushed him in. Peter looked around cautiously. The inside of the room looked like the inside of an insane asylum's solitary confinement cell except that it wasn't brightly lit. It was almost completely dark. He heard the door lock behind him. What was about to happen?

   Peter self-consciously set his backpack against the far wall. He was surprised he hadn't lost it. He looked around for a second then froze as he heard a noise. Was that...movement at the other end of the room?

   A moment, then-- a man with a gun came running toward him. He fired rapidly at the teenager, but Peter quickly dodged every bullet. He stopped for a second to wipe his brow and then knocked out the man. Now he was really anxious. What other horrors might be hiding in the dark?

   Despite his fears, he kept fearlessly fighting and defeating each and every soldier who came out of the shadows. Finally, there was a lull in the fighting and Peter was hungry, so he decided to check his backpack to see if he happened to have a bag of trail mix stored inside.

   He reached inside the bag, but instead of a snack or any of the usual school books, his hand made contact with fabric. He pulled whatever he was touching out of his backpack. When he saw what it was, his jaw dropped and his eyes got wide.