Chapter Five: Back to the Future

Tony Stark paced up and down the lab. He was sick out of his mind. He should have never allowed Peter into the lab in the first place. He should have talked to him in the lobby. Or in the car. Or in his office. Anywhere else. But no, he had to act like a complete moron. He had to take Peter up to a dangerous lab and now the kid was gone.

"Bruce, what can you do?"

"Well, that depends. Fitz, how in depth have you studied the, uh, energy orb?"

"Well, first, it's called MELVA. And, before you ask, I forgot what it stands for. The properties I've identified so far are, I have no idea. MELVA formed when I was on a lunch break one day. An accident, really." Fitz shifted uncomfortably. "Which means that I have no idea what happens when you get sucked into it."

"Great! That's really great. Now, Dr. Fitz, you and I are both  responsible for the kid's death or disappearance so I suggest you find out very quickly how to get him back."

The engineer's eyes widened in horror. "Y-you mean like legally responsible, sir?"

"Yeah, uh huh. And probably morally responsible too. So do you have ANYTHING?"

Bruce rolled his eyes, exasperated. "Tony, he didn't come up with anything new in the last four seconds. We need to run some tests on MELVA and we need time."

"That's great, Banner, but I don't have time. I have an aunt to tell that her nephew is missing and I have a probably currently half-dead teenager that I'm responsible for. But take ALL the time you want."

Bruce went over to where Tony paced the floor and stopped him by gently placing a hand on his shoulder. "We're gonna get him back, Tony."

"How?"

"We'll tell you when we know. In the meantime, have a little faith."

Tony nodded and left the room. He had to tell May that Peter was missing, but he didn't know how. Who did he know that would have sound advice on the subject? He snapped his fingers. Steve Rogers.

"So you got an emo 15-year-old sucked into an energy portal and you don't know how to tell his only living relative that he's probably dead? That sucks, man."

"Yeah, to put it mildly, and bluntly all at the same time. How did you do that?"

"I don't know. I'm not generally that pessimistic." The amused look on Steve's face faded as he saw the anxiety on his friend's face. "Ok, so you need advice? Be honest and straightforward, don't beat around the bush, and, most importantly, don't procrastinate. Go tell her right after we finish talking."

Tony grimaced after the last piece of advice. That had been exactly what he had been considering doing: At least for a few hours.

"Ok thanks, Cap. I owe you one...especially after everything." He turned to leave.

"Wait, Tony. What happened...the causes we fought for weren't stupid, but the way we acted was. I once read about two generals who were friends during the first English civil war. One fought for the king, and the other, the parliament. Even though they fought against each other, they remained good friends. Can we do the same?"

"I think so. You're a good friend, Cap. I just don't know if I am yet."

Tony Stark walked up to the dingy front door of Peter's apartment. He sighed, breathing deeply. "Just do it, Stark." He raised his hand to knock on the door, but before he could make a sound, May opened the door and looked at him through teary eyes.

"May. I came to tell you that--"

"I know. Your driver, Happy, called. He was really nice and I-I don't blame you for being reluctant about telling me, especially after all those horrible voice messages I sent you."

"Listen, May. We're gonna get him back. I promise that I will do everything I can."

"I know you will. I just wish I wasn't such a horrible guardian."

"You're not, May, you're not. If anyone is, I am; And I am a guardian of his. I can't forgive myself."

"Well then, I suppose we both have to try to forgive ourselves. It won't bring Peter back. I just...miss him.

"I do too. Take care, May. I'll see if Happy will check on you every now and then. Ok?"

"Happy, who in the heck gave you permission to tell Peter's aunt about what happened?"

"Me. You were dragging your heels and she needed to know. I heard all the messages she thought she was leaving on your phone. She's feisty and emotional. And strong. She deserves the truth because she can handle it."

"You're right. Thank you, Happy. Now, let's check on Fitz and Banner."

A/N: I skipped around a lot this chapter, bois.✌💫