Chapter Four: On the Other Side

Peter felt himself suffocating. He was being tossed around like a ragdoll and he felt himself being electrocuted by the-energy-orb-thing every now and then. Just when he thought he couldn't bear the pain and discomfort anymore, it stopped and Peter was thrown out of the grasp of the-energy-orb-thing and onto the joyfully familiar pavement of New York City.

   At least it was familiar for a moment. Then he realized that it was all wrong. The noise of cars and people seemed fainter and when he looked up at the many unusual passersby he realized that they were just that-- unusual. Most of the women wore skirts and a lot of the men were wearing old military uniforms. Regardless of what any of the New Yorkers were wearing, they all shared on thing in common: They all cast curious glances at Peter as they passed him. He stood up and looked at what he was wearing. He was not prepared for this cross-cultural experience or whatever it was.

   Despite this, he began to feel his old familiar excitement at strange and interesting things. In other words, he was geeking out. The old Peter Parker was back (maybe for good), and no one was there to see it.

   "I wonder if this is a different planet or universe or reality or timeline or time period or--" He was cut off by the loud banging of metal in the nearby alleyway. He tried to see what it was, but the alleyway was curved at the back, obstructing his view. Gathering his courage, he set his backpack down at the alleyway entrance and began to walk toward the sound. As he turned the corner his eyes found the back of a big, muscular man who was hitting, to Peter's surprise, a kid.

   "Hey! You, um, just step away from him!" Peter was intensely aware that he appeared to be no more than a kid himself.

   The man turned around and catching sight of the teen in front of him laughed in his face. "What're you gonna do kid, call your mom?" During this brief break, Peter caught a glimpse of the man's victim. He looked vaguely familiar, but he couldn't place his face... "Beat it, kid." Peter grabbed the man's hand and twisted it hard. Then...SNAP! Peter winced as he felt the man's bone crack beneath his fingers. He hadn't intended to hurt him that way and was terrified.

   "Oh I'm sorry, sir, I didn't mean to--" But he was interrupted as the man gave a cry of rage and sent a punch flying his way. Peter ducked just in time. Then Peter socked the attacker in the face and he was out cold. Peter turned his attention to the now-standing victim who has been watching in silence.

   The kid looked curiously at Peter, and as he spoke Peter realized he wasn't a kid at all. He was a very short and scrawny man.  "How did you do that?"

   "Do what?"

   "Knock him out cold. You're not as old as me, but you look about as strong."

   "Oh, uh, that. Uh, I don't know I guess...I don't know."

   "That sounds like a lie to me. My name is Steve Rogers." He extended a hand and Peter shook it.

   "Peter. Peter Parker. Where exactly are we?"

   "New York City. You're not from around here are you?"

   "You could say that. What year is it?"

   This was a little much to handle and Steve took a cautionary step away from Peter before answering, "June 3rd, 1943. What is this all about?"

   "Well, crap. I'm screwed."

   "Language."

   "Oh, sorry. I just really don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not from around here. And by here I mean time, not place. I'm from the year 2017."

   "Oh, d---," he said clearly forgetting his previous aversion to foul language. Then-- "Bucky!" A tall man in a military uniform walked down the alley. "This is Peter. He's from, well, we might need to save that for later. But, wait. Did you?" He looked his friend up an down.

   "Yeah, Steve. I came to tell you. The military accepted me." He looked apologetically down at the ground.

   "No, it's great Bucky!"

   "Well, then, let's celebrate! I already have some girls who are ready to go on a double date if you want to."

   "No, actually, I'm gonna stay with Peter. He's a just a kid you know."

   "Yeah, okay. I'll see ya, Steve."

   "Alright, have fun Bucky."

   Peter crossed his arms, shaking with suppressed laughter. "So we're just not gonna tell him that I saved you? "

   "No. Just..." Steve visibly tensed up. "Never mind." He clearly didn't think it was funny.

   "Ok. So now what do we do?"

   "I have no idea."