Chapter 6

A/n -I'm gonna have to go back into hiding after this 😂 but anyway so I did a lot of math (You're welcome!) and Honey's birthday is in March and so is Ally's ninth month ! If you're confused on the time or like season

"I like that one momma." Honey points at a tiny, black and white Pomeranian puppy playing with a donut chew toy. "I don't think that's guard dog material baby." Lauren says

"You said any dog babe, and she likes the pom Pom." Ally points out. "I didn't think they'd have tiny little rats here." Lauren whispers.

"She's a little girl that wants a little dog babe, we can just get two dogs." Ally shrugs her shoulders and walks over to the other dogs everywhere. Lauren groans, as things are not going to plan.

"Babe I don't think you're thinking, the whole purpose was to find a big big dog that's already trained, and I think we are heading on the direction of taking five puppies home." Lauren says as she sees Ally cooing at some more puppies.

Honey's birthday was tomorrow, so they thought they'd start early. The family came to walk around the city and the dog shelters and let Honey get whatever she wants. "Lauren I like this one babe." Ally holds up a baby Golden retriever, and let's it lick her face.

"Mami, you know we need to find an actual guard dog too." Lauren places her hands on her belly, feeling the babies kick. They tend to know when Ally is happy so they kick. "I know but we have enough land to give these babies a home too...please Laur." Ally begs, and watched her wife fold.

"Fine, but we are still going home with a guard dog."

"You'll want good ol Smallz for that ma'am." The old shop owner patted Lauren's shoulder. "Dad, smallz isn't gonna go to anyone." The younger shop keeper said from behind the counter.

"I'm sure the right people can catch that dog...look you won't find a guard dog like him, he's  a former police dog but was let go due to unknown reasons, he hangs outside , in the back, if he goes to you take him."

Lauren looks at Ally, and Ally scrunches her face up as she sees Lauren heads to the back and out the door. "Honey baby, come with me please." Ally says, getting the little girls attention. Honey runs over and grabs her moms hand as they follow Lauren.

Lauren was in the back Alley, looking around for 'Smallz'

"Lauren be careful please." Ally says from the doorway leading to the back.

"I'm sure a dog named Smallz isn't something I should be afraid of." Lauren yells back. She regrets her choice of words when a huge, bulky, black pitbull came walking towards her.

"Thats...that's the opposite of Smallz..." Lauren hills as watches as the dog lower's his head down, and growls.

"Lauren be careful." Ally steps forward, kicking a can in the process. The big dog locks his eyes on Ally, and charges at her. "ALLY!" Lauren attempts to grab the dog but she slips and falls watching the dog run at Ally and Honey.

Ally immediately grabs Honey and pushes her behind her, and braces herself for the pain that comes.

But it never does.

She feels a warm snout press itself against her stomach, and opens her eyes to look down. She sees Smallz wagging his tail, and licking her belly through her shirt. Honey pokes her head out from behind Ally, and giggles. She holds her hand out and the dog happily licks it.

Lauren is beyond confused, and gets up to walk over to her family. "Well, that could've been worst."

Ally and Honey are completely smittened by the big dog, "He's perfect Lo." Ally says.

-
As Smallz walks happily down the street with his new family, Honey wanted to get ice cream before they go home. So the family was heading down the street, enjoying the nice weather. "Still can't figure out why we had to get two dogs, but we will make it work."

Ally laughs as she holds their new Pomeranian puppy. "We need a little dog, she's cute."

"Mommy you like biggie?" Lauren dead pans at the name for the little dog, "yes Biggie and Smallz will be great guard dogs."

"You okay Ally? Do you need a break?" Lauren asks, stopping a bit to let her wife rest. But Ally shakes her head,"I'm not useless yet, I still got two more weeks." Lauren laughs at her wife's strong will to keep going, but her smile disappears as she sees debris floating in front of her.

She holds her hands out and catches it, and the moment she hears the sirens, she turns around and sees down the corner of an apartment building on fire.

Lauren turns and looks at Ally, and Ally gives her a look, "Lauren..."

Lauren gives her a sympathetic look and takes off. She's running and running, and as she arrives to the scene it looks like everyone is out of the building. The police officers that have arrived are asking the families if anyone is inside and so far they are getting no's until a black woman comes and practically begs the officer to go inside for her baby.

"Ma'am I'm sorry you have to wait, please give me the room number so when the right authorities get here they can go in."

"203! Second floor, please let me go in their!"

"I'm sorry ma'am you can't go in!"

Lauren's heart races, and as she sees honey and Ally run up behind her, she makes eye contact with her wife and Ally knows just what she's about to do.

Lauren runs inside, quickly grabbing a blanket that was wrapped around some guy before going in. Entering the enflamed building, smoke immediately fills her lungs. She covers her mouth with her blanket, and continues inside the building. She finds the stairs because she can't use the elevator and runs up as fast she could avoiding the falling pieces of the building.

She goes to open the door but the handle is hot.  Lauren wraps the blanket around her body and knocks the door down with her body. She looks around at the room numbers, 200...201...202...203...

Lauren immediately busts through the door, and hears crying. The room doesn't look like it's caught any fire so she slams herself into the door and is met with a pink room, and a baby bundled up in her crib. 'Maraya' is what Lauren reads on the frame next to the bed.

"Okay Maraya, I'm gonna get you out of here sweetheart."

Lauren grabs the baby, and bundles her up in her blanket. Exiting the room, Lauren silently curses herself as she sees the entrance is blocked by flames. She feels the building beginning to collapse so Lauren has to act fast. She sees the window, leading to the gated balcony.

Lauren climbs out into the narrow balcony, clutching the cooing baby with her life. She hears the fire trucks coming, but the fire is growing closer to her even faster. She looks down and sees its a lot higher up than she thought, but Lauren had to think fast or neither of them were gonna make it. Lauren looks back and smells gasoline, and it's coming from the oven that is on. "Fuck."

Lauren takes and breathe and realize what she has to do.

Taking a few steps back, Lauren charges for the rail, holding onto Maraya for dear life. She launches herself off the balcony, and sees the apartment complex explode.

Lauren feels herself falling, and makes sure the baby is facing the sky. She closes her eyes and braces for impact, and but she never feels herself break the fall.

She does feel her world go black.