Chapter 9

Olympus was packed with lines of VIP guests waiting to enter the grand ballroom. Photographers were stationed every few feet away from each other, trying to capture as much of the night as possible. I elbowed my way through the crowds getting the occasional death glare. When I arrived at the door I was greeted by the same bouncer who had been working for my Mom as long as I could remember.

"You got me covered Moose?"

"Always do," he replied.

I gave him a quick high five and walked confidently into the extravagant building. The room was filled with diamond chandeliers and middle-aged women with cheating husbands sipping champagne. I snagged a martini from one of the servers carrying around a large tray. I took a sip while eyeing my surroundings, careful that my Mother didn't catch me. I watched the maids looked in awe at my dress that I had evidently changed. I flashed each of them a quick wink then went about my business. I spent the rest of the night on the dance floor and grabbing an occasional drink. I had a few cute boys eye me but I shrugged them off, I wasn't there for speed dating. When the party was over I stumbled down the steps and back to check on Declan. My feet began to drag as I walked and I tried to recall how much alcohol I had actually consumed but my memory went fuzzy.

I woke up with a massive hangover. I squirmed around to see Declan cradling me in his arms with a tear-stained face.

"Wha- what happened," I asked holding my hand to my head.

I remembered walking into the shoe shack and finding Declan but everything thing after that was gone

"You got blackout drunk," he said not making eye contact with me.

He looked extremely exhausted, mentally and physically.

"Did you stay up all night?"

"Yeah."

"Why? You didn't have to do that. You should've told me to go back home."

"No way was I going to send you out there in a state like that Nephele. I can't lose another person I care about, especially not to fucking alcohol."

I cupped his face in my hand. I realized how rough last night was for him. I pulled myself up so I was sitting on the step next to him. I grabbed his shoulders and pulled him close to me. He wrapped his arms around my back and pulled me even closer. I rubbed his back in an attempt to comfort him. I knew he was trying to be tough but he had let his walls down before he even knew it and, his vulnerability was what drew me in. So, we stayed there embracing each other, letting time pass us for we did not have the time to pass it.