Chapter 3

I continued to scoot my body inch by inch along the ledge. I was so close to the water, I could feel the steam radiating off it and land on the back of my bare heels. I felt a painful sting in the bottom of my right foot when I took a step farther. I let out a loud gasp as I bent down to feel blood gushing out of a wide open gash. Immediately, I covered my mouth with my hand noticing I would have brought attention to myself if anyone had been lurking in the shadows. Airy whispers began to creep out from the creases of the concrete walls. I thrashed my head back and forth trying to figure out which way the bone-chilling sounds were coming from. In a flash more torches lit up one after another. The river dried up and was replaced with a stone passageway leading up to an intimidating wooden double door. My heart began to beat faster and faster until it felt like it could rip through my chest at any moment. I attentively stepped onto the path and felt the hot stone painfully press against my newfound wound. I winced in agony but attempted to carry on, the curiosity taking over. All reasoning that would've have made me *responsibly* go back, to turn around left my body in an instant. The large door engraved with inexplicable symbols drew me in. My heart rate steadied as I slowly approached the door with every ounce of courage I had in me. I was inches from the hatch as I held up my had in a fist in an attempt to knock but, the door automatically unlocked and opened, making way for me to enter.