Chapter 1

I opened my eyes to darkness. Complete darkness, pitch blackness, as opposed to other types of not-seeing where you just close your eyes and you see your eyelids. Slightly dusty air was surrounding me. A cold metal floor lay beneath me. I didn't actually remember closing my eyes. In fact, I didn't remember anything. At all. Well, that was a lie. I was capable of thinking these words, so obviously I hadn't forgotten everything. Just details. Everything personal was gone. I couldn't remember people, places, events... all of that was missing. I began to panic. I stood upright hastily, then stumbled and fell.

"Calm down," I told myself. Not out loud, of course.

There was nothing I could do. Either something would happen, or I would remain here and eventually die. It was depressing and scary, but I was helpless.

I scoured my mind for any bit of information in case something happened. Nothing. I could make up something. I should come up with a name for myself. Unaware of my gender, I came up with names for each.

Carson? Emma? Matthew? Lauren?

I internally shrugged and decided not to dwell on it.

Then there was sound. A loud, kind of screeching noise. Metal grinding against metal. Whatever I was in... enclosement? Ensnarement? Cage. The cage began to move. This should have calmed me, at least something was happening. But the panic came again. Sweat beaded on my forehead and I started shaking. So did the cage. It was kind of swinging back and forth. The cage shot upward, and the impact knocked me down from my sitting position. My head throbbing from hitting the ground too hard, I decided once again that there was nothing I could do. I was sobbing by now, tears streaming down my cheeks. Reasonable. I lost control of my calm state of mind and my surroundings got to me. Screeching metal. Darkness. Chilly, dusty air. I lost it and screamed.

"Stress: your body's reaction to physically, mentally, or emotionally challenging obstacles or events," I recited in my head. It was the noise that was getting to me, it was invading my mind and replacing the space for thought.

Something told me that this wasn't the first time I had done this. Referring to reciting that in my head, of course, not the whole situation.

I continued to lie in the darkness for who knows how long. And then there was faint light. This, however, did nothing to calm me. It probably would have, if I weren't moving straight towards a solid metal wall.

Author's Note

So... introduction. I kind of think that I can write well. The problem is that really I have no creativity. I have an imagination, though. I consider those to be two different things. Anyway, that's why this is based off of somebody else's story. All rights to King James Dashner. Say whatever you want. Like I don't really care if you criticize it or compliment it. Like, I care, but I wouldn't get all offended or anything if you say it sucks. You can suggest anything. You can correct my grammar. You can revise it. Umm... pretty much do what you want.