Chapter Four

"Unfortunately for you, you came late. No food until tomorrow. Find me when you wake up and then I'll get you something to eat. Best you can do until tomorrow is try not to think."

I nodded again. I didn't want to talk, I just wanted to be alone.

"See you later, shank."

And then he left. Letting out a shaky sigh, I locked the door and went to the sleeping bag in the corner of the room. Completely ignoring what he had said earlier, I tried to make some sense of what I had been told. Words spun around in my head, and I couldn't remember one thing I had been told without forgetting another. It was like chasing seagulls on a beach. Seagulls would fly just a few feet away, to where I couldn't reach, but was close enough to want to keep chasing them. I don't know where that memory came from. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. Tomorrow I'd find a stick or something and write in the dirt, maybe that would help. Maybe they had paper and pencils or something. For now I could just try and sleep. I closed my eyes and hummed a tune under my breath. I couldn't remember any words or who wrote it or what it was called. I couldn't even remember if it was a memory. Maybe I was making it up just now. It was a lighthearted tune, but it had an undertone of sadness. It didn't sound like a song I would listen to, just maybe a nursery rhyme or theme to something. Did they have instruments here? I suspected not, but that would be a good idea. A little music would lighten up the mood a lot. I made a mental note to bring that up when I woke.

Author's Note

I love it when you comment tbh. This wasn't long, mostly because I haven't been feeling like writing lately, but idk I've always wondered what would happen if there was music in the Glade. By the way, the song she was thinking of is called the Ash Grove. I remember like learning to sing it in elementary and I just wanted her to remember a song. YOU GUYS CAN SUGGEST ANYTHING LIKE I WOULD LIKE IF YOU CAME UP WITH RANDOM THINGS TO ADD TO THE PLOT BECAUSE I HAVE IMAGINATION BUT NOT CREATIVITY. Imagination to me is being able to come up with things based off of other things taken from something. Creativity is making something from nowhere.