Chapter 8 I think

That night I slept well and woke up feeling cheerful (if cheerful means I didn't figuratively tear off anybody's head upon being woken up.) When Minho knocked on my door, I was already awake and just followed him out the door.

Everybody else was still asleep, which did surprise me a little bit. I hadn't thought that I'd woken up that early. I nearly stepped on a few people who rolled over right as I was stepping over where they were. What did I need to do that required me to be up earlier than everybody else?

When we arrived at a dirty, dusty window on one of the walls that surrounded the place, he stopped.
"I'm about to show you a Griever. The Grievers are the reason that only a select few, including myself, go past the walls. They come out after the walls close. Try not to piss yourself."

I braced myself. Although it could be a prank, I didn't want to be caught off guard. I didn't want to react. And I didn't want to be killed by a "Griever".

The "Griever" was absolutely terrifying. It looked a bit like a robot, a snake, an owl, and a slug combined. And it was the size of four cows. That doesn't seem like it would be terrifying, and really that combination isn't a very accurate description. Really it was more like different parts of it belonged to different traits of the animals listed. It was made mostly out of metal, but there was some components of living beings in it. You could see the metal arranged like the scales on a snake were, and whenever the "scales" shifted, you could see skin, I guess, like you would on a slug, with slime to match. Its face resembled an angry owl, although you couldn't match any features of its (the Griever's) face to that of an owl's.

I don't know what I had expected, but I was completely surprised by what I saw. Maybe I was kind of thinking of the word itself rather than coming up with what would be bad enough to keep them locked away for such a long time. I kind of expected a really tall person with a dark cloak and a sword.

And then it was approaching the window. I backed away quickly in terror, surely just a glass pane wouldn't withstand the force of that thing. My feet connected with what must've been a rock and I fell backwards with a yelp. But astonishingly, the glass didn't break. I hadn't gotten crushed; there was only a loud thumping sound against the glass.

I slowed my breathing and got back up. Looking around, we were far enough away from where most people were sleeping that my yelp hadn't woken anybody. To my surprise, Minho didn't laugh at me for my clumsiness. At least he wasn't a total ass.

"Find your way to the breakfast tables; I'll be there in a little bit," he said.

Author's Note:
You probably don't want to hear my profuse apologies, so here I go with the rest of it. Please tell me if you have any ideas of where I could go with this story. Also maybe predict where this is going. Correct any grammar issues I have. Make suggestions. Please, that is. Umm, that's mostly it.