Chapter Three

I opened my mouth to protest, but he cut me off.

"No. Newt, you can show the Greenie what to do the rest of the day."

He turned back to the rest of them.

"Back to work, everybody! I'll call a Gathering later; for now just mind your own business!"

Newt? What kind of a name was that? Oh well. I turned to see a tall kid with long blonde hair and muscular arms briskly walking towards her. That would probably be him. He stopped just in front of me and studied me for a few seconds.

"I'd say you were lucky, in a way. Being the first girl. Shocked the shanks into silence. Gally usually gives the Greenies a hard time, but this time it seems he forgot." His voice was thick with an odd accent.

I shrugged.

"So there really hasn't ever been a girl here?" I had kind of figured for myself that at the moment there were no girls, what with all the stares and "it's a girl" and not actually seeing any (girls, that is), but I wanted to know if anybody had died.

He shook his head.

"I can't tell you much, Greenie, but I should tell you this: All of us have come up in that box. One comes every month. Two years, and there's never been a girl. Ever."

I scrunched up my eyebrows, trying to make sense out of what I had been told. Then I shook my head to myself and looked at Newt again.

"Never mind. Just show me where I can sleep." I'd process the information when I could focus without getting strange looks, which would no doubt happen if I just sat down, closed my eyes, wrinkled my eyebrows, and just focused my thoughts at this moment.

He took me to a large wooden building and showed me a room.

"We've only got a few rooms with locks. I decided that you should have one of them just to be safe. The other shanks can find a different room."

I nodded absentmindedly, not really hearing what he was saying. I was just tired, confused, and still a little afraid; I needed some time to sort out a few things. A little food wouldn't hurt, either.

Author's Note

This part is probably a little bit boring, since it wasn't very fun to write, either. But I kind of can't skip this. Oh by the way, I just wanted to make sure all of you have finished the series. Like you don't just read the first book only and then go LOOK IT UP AND READ FANFICTION ABOUT IT and expect no spoilers. (I think I did the caps lock in the middle of a sentence right, correct me if I'm wrong.) Hmm funnel cake is good. Band is fun also. I am happy because I am in percussion, so usually we don't play the melody, but now we are playing highlights from Harry Potter and I have the glockenspiel part that has the melody at one point. The tricky thing is that there are two other parts I have for the same song and they are on a separate piece of music. I'm rambling now, I'll stop. Rambling, that is.