Chapter 7

Remembering what I had told myself to do the night before, I searched for a twig or stick. I ran through the list of things I had been told since arriving in my head. And then I wrote in the dirt, just scribbling down everything I thought of.

What I Know:
I am not the only one to come here in that box.
Some people are called Runners and some people are called Greenies.
One person comes up in the box a month.
I am the only girl, meaning that no other girls have ever been here, not that the other girls died.
I came up right at sunset, which was later than most come.
I've been called a "shank". A shank is a person's legs.
I sleep in one of the few rooms with locks.
They say that they don't know much more than I do.
At the moment, I'm supposed to be getting the "Tour".
Minho's an ass.
Nick's an ass.
I haven't met Alby, but he's an ass, too.
Somebody I haven't met named Gally is an ass, according to Newt.
Newt is nice, but I hate him anyway.
Newt has an accent.
Nick acts like he's the boss of everything.
They have been here for two years.
Apparently you can't show any signs of sadness without being verbally attacked by Minho.
I need to evaluate people's personalities and habits with more depth.
Judging by the way the others have been acting, death is not common here. I will most likely live, unless I do something extremely stupid. Or if circumstances are different because I am a girl.

To do (in order of importance):
Evaluate people's personalities and habits, both generally an individually.
Find out what people do all day.
Find out what I should do all day.
Start doing what I should do all day.
Find out whether this is a normal life.
If it isn't, find out how to live a normal life.
Stop being an asshole.
If the others weren't lying about this happening, befriend the new person next month. Befriend people in general, actually. Probably just the new ones though, because they wouldn't have met me yet.

Perhaps a memory?
There is this one image that keeps coming up in my mind. It looks the sign that goes before a number, #. But it is drawn larger. And it is filled with letters. The image is kind of fuzzy, but it's there. I would add more detail, but I forget most of it.

I frown, trying to remember the image. Maybe if I drew it... but I can't. I draw the # with letters all over it, but it doesn't look right. Would a more organized version do? There are twenty six letters. The # has nine sections. It doesn't divide evenly. I shake my head in frustration, and then get up. I'm done with today. But it would frustrate me more to sit around doing nothing. I'm assuming that Newt decided to leave me alone for now, and told that to Minho. I'm going to look around... whatever this place is called... alone (at least, I hope alone) for today, and then do whatever they think I should tomorrow. If I agree with what they think I should do.

I had just found the place where there were animals and knives when I heard somebody calling me.
"Greenie!"
Oh great.
"The Gathering's over. Nick told me to tell you that we've decided to let you do the same as we do. No Slammer or Banishment or anything."
"Gee, thanks," I interjected, rolling my eyes.
He glared at me.
"I will tell you, however, if anything funny ends up happening and you are behind it, there will be trouble."
His tone was menacing this time, so I decided that it would be safer not to voice my thoughts on that.
"Go get some lunch; it's 2:00 already."
I blinked in surprise. Was I writing and sulking for that long? I didn't find anything before arriving at the animal-and-knife place.
After eating and then hiding in the forest until sunset, I returned for dinner and unfortunately ran into Minho.
"Greenie!" he called.
"What do you want, MeanHoe?"
He glared at me.
"I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be the one to show you around tomorrow. And you're not running off again. Newt would do it, but he's... never mind, none of your business anyway," he muttered, a shadow crossing over his eyes at the last bit.

I knew that look well enough, though not from memory, to know not to push it.
"Anyway, nobody else wanted to show you around, so they made me do it."
"Gee, thanks."
And with that, he turned and walked away.