Chapter 3

I walked through the front door of my, still new, house and ran up the stairs to my room. I opened my door and tossed my bookbag on the floor hearing it thump as it hit the ground.

I had a better day today than I've had since I've moved here. After playing in the music room with Billie I went to my other classes and tried to pay attention. I got to see Mike again because we have the same History class which was cool. We pretty much just goofed off in there instead of doing our assignments. He offered to let me sit with Billie and him at lunch but I declined as I was still nervous of the cafeteria so I ate in the library.

I layed down on my bed after turning on a record, that my old band and I had made, on my record player and setting it to a good volume. I got comfortable and got my phone out of my pocket and started a rolling through pictures of drum kits for sale. I got thinking and realized that Billie didn't have my number. I have his number but he doesn't have mine. After ten minutes I finally sent him a message, giving him my number.

“Hey Billie, this is Tré from school”

I stared at my phone for what felt like hours until I saw the speech bubbles appear, notifying me that he was typing, and threw my phone across the room.

“Dang it!!” I shouted

I quickly got up and ran to where my phone landed. It was laying screen down on my hardwood floor which gave me a near panic attack. I slowly picked it up turned it around to show a clean screen which made me exhale with relief. Then suddenly the ringer went off, telling me I had a message. And what did I do? Drop my phone.

This time it fell facing up so I could see the screen. I grabbed it and jumped back on my bed. I turned on my phone to show a notification that said “1 new message: Billie”. I clicked on it and it read:

“Hey man! I had an awesome time listening to you play today! What's up?”

After a few minutes of reading the message over and over I worked up the courage to respond.

“Just hangin out, listening to my record player. How bout you?”

This time he responded almost immediately.

“You have a record player?! Ah I'm just sitting and listening to my sister Anna talk about some guy.”

We ended up texting for about an hour until he had to go help his mom with something. I found out that he has brothers and sisters, a mom, and a stepfather. He's the same age as me and he has known Mike for 7 years already. I told him about how I learned to play the drums, what my band was like back home, and other things like that.

I heard a light knock at my door so I sat up on my bed.

“Come in” I yelled to whoever it was at my door.

The door creaked open and my older sister waltzed right on in like she owned the room.

“Hey Tre, Dad left a note saying he won't be home until late tonight. He left money though so we can order pizza. ” She looked down at her watch and back at me. “I'd say we should order pizza in about a half an hour, what kind?”

I sat there and thought for a second.

“Just plain cheese should be fine” I said as I laid back in my bed.

After we settled on cheese pizza she left my room and I heard her walk to her room and shut the door.

~~~~~~

So I just laid down in my room. Lori and I watched one of her weird girly movies that was actually sort of interesting but I would never admit it to her. We ate the entire large cheese pizza and made some popcorn too. My dad still isn't home, must've had to work later than normal because it was already 10:30pm.

I laid on my right side and started watching drumming videos on YouTube. I was caught up in one when I got a text message. It was from Billie. I clicked the message notification immediately and read it.

“Hey Tre, I'm off to bed. Just wanted to say goodnight or whatever”

I didn't hesitate to respond.

“Goodnight man, I'll uh talk to you tomorrow maybe?”

He responded one last time before he didn't respond anymore.

“Definitely. Night”

After that I put my phone down and slowly drifted off to sleep.