Chapter 5

I walked home alone that afternoon. It was still light out as it was only about 6pm. We didn’t practice for all that long because Billie didn’t have many songs that he was ready to show us.

I kicked a rock across the sidewalk and watched it skid across the concrete and into the grass.

I thought about the first song that we practiced. What was it called? Oh that’s right, Coming Clean. It was a pretty good song but I don’t know the full meaning behind it. He never really gave us an explanation. I looked at the paper he had given me that has all of the lyrics and drum beats on it. What do these lyrics mean? “Secrets collecting dust but never forget” and “Now mom and dad will never understand, What's happening to me”. That’s what I want to know, is he okay? I mean I guess he should be fine because he said he had figured out himself for the first time. That’s a good thing I’m sure.

I walked into my house and shut the door behind me. I walked towards the kitchen right as my dad started walking out and we ran into each other.

“Oh um sorry”. I said in a low voice. My dad and I never really talked all that much, especially now with him barely ever being home and having to work late and sometimes on weekends.

He didn’t say anything and just walked passed me. I kind of sort of miss him in a way. I can take care of myself and all of that but I miss his company. We used to hang out and watch movies and go to parks together. He even bought me my first drum kit when I was 5, although that one is long gone.

I popped some pizza rolls in the microwave and waited 3 minutes for them to cook. I took them out and went downstairs to the basement. Down here I had a second record player, drum kit, two guitars, one amp, a computer station, a couch ,and a shelf full of random music books. I turned on my record player and started listening to my bands album, Spy Rock Road, and sat down on the couch and started eating. I had forgotten how hungry I had gotten while I was away at Billies.

—————

The record ended, the music stopped and the needle moved and made its way back to the spot it rests. I sat up and looked at the clock and decided that it was probably best if I took a shower and got ready for bed. Maybe if it wasn’t too late I could text Billie or something and maybe get more information on the song from earlier.

I ran upstairs, put my plate in the dishwasher, then proceeded to make my way up to my room to grab my clothes for my shower. I walked towards the laundry room to get a towel when I overheard my dad on the phone in his room. Pushed my ear up to the closed door and listened.

“Yeah okay, I’ll be over there in a few minutes” he said and I heard him get up off his bed.

I quickly jumped away from the door and got a towel from the living room. As I walked back down the hallway my dad walked out of his room. “Off to work” was all he said before going down the stairs and grabbing his keys off the counter. Shutting the door behind him, he disappeared into his car and out of the driveway.

I made my way to the bathroom and took a shower that lasted about 25 minutes…. What? The water was warm and I didnt want to get out. I dried off and got dressed in my pajamas which consisted of boxers and a t-shirt.

It was only 7:45pm, surely Billie is still awake and wouldn’t mind to talk for a little while, right? I threw my dirty clothes in the corner and sat on my bed with my phone. My heart pounded as I searched for his name in my contacts. Finally I found it and with shaky hands I typed a message.

Me: Hey Billie, I have a question about the song from today

I sat there for a second after sending it and watched the screen. I promised myself that this time when I saw him typing I-

*WHAM*

Wouldn’t throw my phone….

I sprinted over to my phone and picked it up, glad to see it wasn’t broken after being thrown across the room yet again. I read the message on the screen.

Billie: Sure, whats up man

At this point I was in full concentration. Making sure there were no typos or anything that would make me look like a complete idiot.

Me: What is it about? The lyrics make it sound like you’re hiding something

Billie: *typing*

After typing for a few seconds the speech bubbles went away and didn’t come back. Oh. My. God. What if he didn’t want to tell me? I’ve only known him for a few days, what if it’s private? I quickly typed another message.

Me: You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. It’s okay if it’s private

Billie: It’s just about coming clean with myself I guess. Just understanding myself more. Nothing special

Me: I’m having trouble with that a little bit.. I can’t seem to agree with my feelings and it’s freaking me out

Billie: Im sorry dude, do you want to talk about it?

I started typing but then realized what I was doing. Am I really about to spill all my problems to Billie? No way! He’s going to see me as a freak or a stalker or something. I can NOT tell him anything going on. I don’t want to ruin this friendship while it’s just beginning.

Me: Nah I’m good, we can talk about other things.

Billie and I chatted a bit. It was around 11pm when I no longer got any responses. I’m guessing he fell asleep so I sat my phone down next to my bed. I myself, drifted off to sleep slowly. A big smile on my face. Billie and I talked about how much we hated school and and how we wish we could just stop and make music all day instead. Talking to him really calms my nerves about everything else going on, he makes me happy.