Chapter 6

Okay so it’s now been 3 months since I met Billie and Mike and was added in their band. We practice pretty much every day after school and all day during the weekends. We’re starting to really sound good!! My sister got a new boyfriend so she’s usually always out with him and my dad, as you know, is always “working”. I know that isn’t what he’s actually doing but I’ll let him keep his privacy. I like it a lot because it means that when I am home from practice or something, I have the whole house to myself. Well there’s sort of what’s going on now, lets get with what’s going on now!

----------

“Oh my god that was the best” Billie laughed loudly.

“Yeah it was” Mike laughed just as loud.

I laughed a good bit too and checked the time on my phone. It was 7pm on a friday night and it was a little chilly out.

“Hey guys I’ve gotta head home.” I said to them as they were still giggling.

“No come on man, just hang out a little longer” Billie looked at me.

“I wish I could, I’ve gotta get home and see if my dad and sister are home yet.” I said, kind of happy that Billie didn’t want me to leave.

“Hey well we will just go with you, huh?” Billie said and looked at Mike.

“I would but I’m supposed to go pick Brit up for a late night movie. I’m supposed to pick her up at 8:15” Mike looked at his watch. “I should probably get going soon anyway. She wants me to ‘actually look nice’ tonight” Mike rolled his eyes

“Oh come onnn guys. It’s a friday night!” Billie light punches Mike and I’s shoulders.

“Sorry man” Mike stands up. “I promised Brit. We can hang out another night though”

“Yeah we can” I said. “We hang out and have band practice every day too don’t forget.”

Mike nods.

“Yeah I guess so.” Billie says, looking at the floor.

Mike gets up. We had been sitting on the ground of Billies porch for the past hour telling stories and talking about school.

“I’m gonna head out and go get ready. You need a ride home Tre?”

“Nah I’ll just walk” I said and smiled up at him. “Thanks though”

“Well alright then, see you two later” He walked off the porch and billie and I waved as he drove off.

It was silent, a little too silent. Neither of us said a word as we watched mike drive away. I’m sure you’re wondering why, well here’s the story….

----------

It was about two weeks ago. Billie and I had had a sleepover with Mike at Mike’s house after having band practice here. Mike had gone down to the garage to get some sodas and left Billie and I alone in his room on the top floor of the house. Billie was sitting next to me, focused on the TV screen, we were watching some weird movie that Mike liked. Well…. His hand was sitting oh so nicely on the carpet next to me and what did I do? I freaking grabbed it. I grabbed his hand. And guess what. HE DIDN’T PULL AWAY!!! So we sat there holding hands for about two minutes until Mike burst through the door with 5 thirty two ounce bottles of different sodas and a bag of red cups. Billie and I pulled away so quickly and we haven’t talked about it since. Now that you’re a little more caught up, let the story commence!

----------

Since it was clear that he wasn’t going to say anything, I did.

“Well um I guess I’m going to be on my way home now.” I stood up.

He looked up at me from his spot on the ground. “Do you think I could walk with you home? Maybe even stay for a little while? I think we have something to talk about.”

I knew what he was talking about, he knew I knew what he was talking about.

“Yeah um, sure. Do you need to tell your mom or anything?” I asked him.

Billie looked at the empty driveway. “I think she’ll figure it out herself”. He got up and we started walking back to my house.

We were quiet most of the way until I saw my house in the distance and talked about how no one was home, so it’s up to us to find something to eat before someone gets home.

We walked in the house and went straight to the kitchen.

“Okay so we can make ramen noodles, pizza rolls, or sandwiches.” I told him.

“Um how about pizza rolls” he chose.

I put 16 pizza rolls in the microwave and waited for them to cook. Again we sat in silence. Very awkward silence. The timer beeped and I took them out and led billie down to the basement.

“We can hang out down here. It’s where I keep my instruments and record player and stuff.” I told him as we walked down the stairs.

I chose to sit on the sofa and sat the plate on the coffee table. Billie chose to sit next to me on the couch.

“So um what did you want to talk about?” I looked at him.

“I think you already know.” he said in a low voice.

I looked at my hands that were in my lap. “I’m really sorry Billie… I’m sorry if I had made you uncomfortable..” I said in a sad tone.

“No tre it’s not that. You didn’t make me uncomfortable at all. I wanted to tell you that I um, liked it..” He looked away from me as I looked up at him.

“Y-you did?” I said sounding confused.

“Yeah.. I did”

We sat in silence for a few seconds, not looking at or in the direction of one another. It was so quiet I could hear his breathing. We couldn’t just sit here and not talk about what happened. I had to do something.

“So uh what now?” I looked at him, right in green eyes that seemed a little dim.

“Do you like me? Like not in a friend way.” He met my eyes and I tried not to look away.

I kept eye contact while I spoke. “Billie, I don’t really know. You caught my eye when I first met you. Remember? When Mike had left to go help Brit and I played the drums and you took my phone and put your number in it?” I looked away for a second before looking back at him and continuing. “I’d never even thought about guys before I saw you. I’ve been fighting myself for weeks trying to think differently but so far nothing has worked.”

He looked down at the plate of now, probably cold, pizza rolls sitting peacefully on the couch in between us. He picked one up and took a bite out of it. Soon he finished that one and took another one off the plate. Well if he was going to eat then I was too. We got busy with eating that soon the plate was finished and we were forced to talk again.

“What do you think?” I said trying to break the awkward silence.

Billie took the plate off of the couch and set it on the table in front of us and scooted himself closer to me. Before I knew it, his lips were on mine and dear god was my face red!