Chapter Thirty-Six (N.H.)

Chapter Thirty-Six

Lost and insecure

You found me, you found me

Lyin' on the floor

Surrounded, surrounded

Why'd you have to wait?

I felt like I was in one of those cliche movies, running through the hospital wing with Harry trailing behind me. The lights were almost blinding, the nurses and doctors passing in blurs as I ran. I wasn't even sure where I was going, I just knew that I had to be there. My shoes made a screeching sound as I recognized Liam standing in the lobby, biting at his lip as he paced.

"Alex?!" I said in a rush, almost frantic. I had to find him... He had to be okay.

He had to be.

"Niall..."

"Where is he?!" Harry finally caught up to me, grabbing my shoulders as he too looked at Liam.

"He's... He's in surgery right now... the bullet... It doesn't look good right now." Liam's voice got quiter as he spoke, his eyes closing. Harry's grip on my shoulders got tighter, and I just bit my lip as I nodded.

"What... What happened?" I whispered, looking at Liam in hopes that he'd tell me.

"I was at the cafe visiting with him and his mum, it was almost closing time and Alex was talking about how he was so excited for your wedding. He kept telling me about how happy he was for you... There was a ding at the door, like when someone walks in and all that... His mum turned around and greeted them with a smile, only to have a gun shoved in her face. He demanded all the money in the cash register, screamed at her... She refused to move, and he shot her... She... She didn't make it." Liam stopped for a moment, taking in a shaky breath as he tried to calm down. He sat down in the seat next to us, looking up at me with sorrow filled eyes.

"Next thing I knew the gun was aimed at me... I felt my own heart stop... I couldn't move... Then Alex, he... He jumped in front of me. The man told him to get out of the way, but Alex refused and... and he shot him. He shot him right there and then, right in front of me." Liam started to play with his shirt, it was then that I noticed the red that stained it...

"Alex fell to the ground after that, but that didn't stop him from shooting again. He shot Alex twice, once in the chest and the other in his abdominal.... He got away... I remember falling to the ground, applying pressure to his wound... but there was so much blood... I... I tried to help him... I couldn't save him." Liam looked down at his hands before breaking down into sobs, placing his head in his hands as he shook. Harry was quick to his side, rubbing his back comforting. I wasn't sure what he was saying to him, but I felt numb.

Twice.

______________

It was nearly four hours later when a doctor came out in surgical scrubs, his face was emotionless...

"How is he?" Harry whispered, looking at him with red eyes. Liam had fallen asleep in the chair next to us, his breathing still shaking though.

"It... He's stable, but it's not good... The shot to the chest was too close to his heart for us to remove... It's only a matter of time until it eventually... Till it eventually does puncture his heart."

"There... There has to be something you can do?! You can't just let him die!" I cried out, looking at him in desperation. Alex couldn't die... He couldn't.

"I'm sorry sir... We've done all we can." The doctor gave us a sad smile before walking away, leaving us in the lobby. I burst into tears at that point, falling into Harry's arms and letting him pull me close to his chest.

"It'll be okay... It'll be okay." He whispered over and over again, running his fingers through my hair. I tried my hardest to believe him.

But it wasn't that easy.

_________________

Two hours later I found myself sitting next to his hospital bed, holding his hand as he slept. Harry was standing in the hall outside the room, allowing us a few minutes by ourselves. I was rubbing the back of his hand in soothing circles, hoping that maybe I would get a chance to see his eyes once more...

"You really should wake up... I'm not really one for one sided conversations...." I tried, but it wasn't going to work.

"I guess I don't really have much of a choice as to whether or not you wake up though... According to the doctor you won't ever wake up... You're gonna prove them wrong though, you always proved me wrong..." There was still nothing, the heart monitor still beeping to assure me he was still breathing.

"You're not allowed to die, I won't let you... You're supposed to be my best man dammit. You aren't... You can't leave me Alex, I still need you." I bit my lip as I tried not to cry. I had cried enough in the past couple of hours... I'm not quite sure if there's any tears left to shed.

"You promised me you'd never leave, you promised you'd be here for me no matter what and you're about to break that promise Alex. You can't... You can't do this to me. You can't fucking die, you... If this is karma for me not loving you then I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I was never there for you like you were for me... just please don't... Don't go." My body lurched a little as a dry sob came over me, I buried my head into the bed, crying softly into the sheets. I still held onto his hand though, I wasn't letting go anytime soon.

"Please..." I wasn't answered, he never gave me an answer. The heart monitor did though, letting out a loud high pitched squeal as he flat lined.

I remember screaming.

I remember Harry coming in and pulling me away from Alex...

I remember them trying to save him...

But most of all, I remember the time of death.

He wasn't coming back.

________________________________________________

Now before you get pissed at me and call me heartless or whatever it is you're thinking right now.

This has happened for a reason.

I can't tell you that reason

But it just did.

I'm quite upset about it too, I mean Alex is my bae.

I'm sorry if that upset some of you. Majority of you still hated him so I don't know where you stand now.

Dedication:

perrie_loves

Comment

And

Vote

Connie xx