OF CRIMSON COATS

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌

ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ- BETSY'S BATTLE FLAG.

          from dusk till dawn the
          livelong night, she kept
          the tallow dips alight.

          and fast her nimble
          fingers flew, to sew
          the stars upon the blue.

          with weary eyes and
          aching head, she stitched
          the stripes of white and
          red, and when the day
          came up the stair,
          complete across a carven
          chair,
          hung betsy’s battle flag.

-ˋˏ Minna Irving.

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

﹌﹌﹌﹌

    There is an idiom adapted from a line in William Congreve's play, The Mouring Bride, from the late sixteen-hundreds that Eleanor's mother had thought her privvy to know the day before her departure to the newfound land dubbed the colonies.

    The saying goes as such: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". The line from which it came was originally "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." But to the elder, Eleanor's mother, Mrs. Marie Louise Girardot-André nothing more than that single line mattered.

    Eleanor was a woman young in years, in a society that wished to whip her every which way, and for that alone, she felt as if the Lord himself had set his eyes on scorning her. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Eleanor liked the connotation of the message.

    From the young, yet maturing, age of one-and-ten, Eleanor André had followed her elder brother around like a soldier awaiting the orders of his commander. It was pitiful, truly. Everyone thought so, yet never dared to utter the words. Their father, Antoine André thought it dangerous for a woman to follow a boy around like a soldier. His daughter's ought to be independent, like firecrackers! Brought up right and out of war. Not quick to anger, nor judgement, but to know the rights and wrongs of society.

    That is not to say that John André, his eldest child, was a bad role model in any sense of the word, but merely cunning in his acts ans affections to manipulate those around him.

    In short, John André was a charming young lad who could say what needed to be done, and everyone around him would deliver. Even his younger sister, and fourth eldest in the family Eleanor André.

    Eleanor had grown quite fond of him in their growing years. Eleanor's two older sisters and younger brother had their own paths of business and marriage they had acquired, while John had taken the path of the army and the sea, leaving Eleanor nothing to do but follow in an effort to not be misplaced back home in Old England.