Chapter 5

Johnny

I couldn't handle watching Kenzie kiss some other guy, so I left. It's not like I'm jealous. Of course not, but some part of me did wish Kenz was kissing me again.

As I left, I grabbed a cup of what I think was beer and made my way to the garden, outside. My mind was rushing and all I could feel was Kenzie's lips on mine.

In my back pocket, I felt my phone vibrating. I took it out, not in the mood to talk. It was my mom.

"Sweetie, you need to come home right now. Uncle Josh needs to work out how much money you'll receive from your fathers death."

"I don't want his money! And it's the least we should be worried about."

"You need to come home. Now."

"No. Ever since Dad died you've only cared about his money. Are you even sad?"

"Of course I am but there are more important matters."

"How can you say that?!"

"Just come home-"

I hung up before I could get more angry.

I took a sip of the beer when I heard a crunch sound coming from behind me. I quickly turned and saw a petite figure emerge from the bushes. It was Kenzie.

"Johnny... look, are you okay?" Her voice was soothing. Almost making me feel better.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I responded.

"I heard about your dad." I stopped and looked at her. My dad. She knew about him.

"Wait, how do you know?" I was getting confused, angry. Everything about my dad was supposed to be kept secret. No one is supposed to know. It's private.

"I overheard you talking on the phone with your mom. We can postpone our kissing competition. Even though I would still win."

I laughed. Even in these circumstances, she can make me laugh.

"Fine but it's on at the next party."

"Come on. Let's go back inside." She said. Her arms folded by the piercing air.

We walk inside, together. I immediately spot Hayden and Annie kissing. I guess there back together then.

Everyone who goes to our school looked up at us in confusion when we were together. Especially since we weren't fighting.

Everyone knows that we hate each other and are essentially, enemies. Honestly, I was just as confused as them.

We sat on the couch in the far back corner of the room. And it was then, when we began talking, that I realized that me and Kenzie weren't supposed to be enemies. We had a connection; as friends and maybe even more.