10 - Football Therapy

The Last Picture Show

" trust me, I wouldn't have missed this for the world, "

. . .

A silence fell upon the group as they pass awkward glances to one another. It seemed that the girls never truly expected to get caught in the middle of breaking into a strangers car. The tense body language was a clear tell. Ryan cleared his throat "this is the part that you answer my question." Veronica remains quiet her eyes land on Betty pleading her to answer his pressing question.

"We are breaking into Miss Grungy's car," Betty gestured towards the old Beatle. Only now did Ryan notice the piece of metal that she had in her hand. Probably what she was using to unlock the car.

Not long into this conversation already caused Ryan to get a thudding faint headache "why? have you gone crazy ex without being the ex?" he asked. Everyone knew about Betty's crush on Andrews, it was painfully how for a long time she followed him around without him even looking at her once in that way.

Her eyes widen quickly defending herself "what? no," turning to look at Veronica repeating herself just as she parts her lips to speak "no."

Clearly, Ryan wasn't the first to think this was the sheepish smile that graced Veronica's lips. "Betty believes that Miss Grundy is hiding something dangerous," she explained a little.

"The sweet music teacher?" he raised an eyebrow in confusion "that's impossible," he muttered. She couldn't be dangerous, there was no way in hell that she could do anything. But Ryan suddenly remembered something Miss Grundy did teach Jason privately.

He furrowed his brow she couldn't have something to with his death, could she?

"She's manipulating Archie," Betty added.

"To do what?"

Veronica shook her head folding her arms "use your brain Ryan, she's made him her little boy toy," she spoke the last two words slowly.

Ryan stumbled back a little "what?!" he unexpectedly yelled in shock.

Veronica shushed the boy "be quiet, we don't need you drawing attention to us," she took a quick glance around the street. 

He shook his head. It was hard to believe that someone like Archie would be having a secret relationship with anyone let alone a teacher of all people. Ryan rubbed his face taking his time to push those thoughts back down to the depths "fine, you are still going into break into the car if I am here or not?"

The shared look that told him all he needed to know. Letting out a sigh "I'll help," he agreed to join them.

Betty raised an eyebrow at him for a moment. She was still dealing with weighing out should she trust him or not. Her eyes scanned his face reading him the best she could for a stranger. Meanwhile, Veronica at this point puts her hand on her shoulder "I think we should get started now before someone else catches us," she suggested.

Her gaze flicked away from Ryan to her "you two keep watch," she told them before turning around to the driver side door.

"How did you learn to do that in the first place?" the raven-haired asked watching Betty curiously not really doing as she was told to do.

"Me and my dad used to fix up cars," she explained the faint click of the car door unlocking.

Ryan blinked glancing over his shoulder towards the girls "remind me to call you if my dad ever gets locked out of his car again," he joked surprised how easy it was for her. Grabbing onto the newly unlocked door he held it open for Betty.