4: Atarah

I wake up feeling groggy. I guess talking telepathically is as draining as having a conversation out loud. I rub my eyes and look at the alarm clock next to my bed. It is half past seven. I still have time to get to school, but I am cutting it close. I haphazardly make my bed and pull out some random clothes. Mismatched socks, jeans, and a graphic tee is the look I'll be pulling off today. I quickly brush my teeth and scurry downstairs. My mother has already left for work, which is good because I'd be getting a lecture if she were still at home. I pour myself a glass of milk, gulp it down, and run out the door.

"ATARAH!" Marian yells. "Clean your glass. Don't leave it out for later." Ugh. I run back in the house and do what she tells me. Her yelling further depletes my energy. I run out of the house again like a roadrunner. I will not be late to class again. Marian and my mom will be very upset. I get to the subway just in time to catch the next bus leaving downtown. On the bus, I put on my headphones and listen to some old jazz. Marian would complain if I listened to anything else. Apparently, all other forms of music are not refined enough. Don't get me wrong, I love jazz, but it would be nice to be able to listen to something else without getting an ear full. I let my brain drift off with The Greatest Hits of Edith Piaf, until I heard the loudspeaker announce my stop. As soon as the automatic doors open, I dash out and check the time. I have three minutes till class starts and nearly 5 blocks to go. Four of those blocks have traffic lights that favor cars over pedestrians. I look up. Five seconds to cross. I go for it, running as fast as I can with my less than athletic legs. Barely made it. Turn the corner. Green light for the cars.

"Crap!" I mutter under my breath

. "Atarah! Don't use such foul language." Marian scolds.

"Leave the girl be." says an irritated voice I do not recognize. I look around quickly to make sure it wasn't a real person. The light turns red for the vehicles. Time to sprint. Next block I get a green light. Yes! One minute left. My class is on the first floor. I can make it. As I run, I see my school: the final checkpoint. Last light on my path is green. Fortune favors the foolish. I hurry through the school doors and show up to class half a minute late. Which goes unnoticed because the teacher has not taken attendance. Thank goodness I made it, but something feels wrong. I put my hand behind my back to feel for my backpack. Nothing is there. I left it at home. I bury my face in my hands. I hear multiple spirits chuckle. There is a difference between a spirit laugh and a human one. A spirit has a much more hollow sounding one, it doesn't have the same energy that a human one has. I look around the classroom. I'm in one of the middle rows, so I will be overlooked by the teacher. Teachers only pay attention to the front and back rows, honoring the good students and humiliating the bad ones. The second key to not getting called on is to not look suspicious. Look at the teacher the entire time, not at your phone or notebook. Follow her movements like your life depends on it. She is the cat and you are the mouse. My teacher, Ms. Camolli, enters the classroom. Her bitter and curious eyes quickly scan the class.

"Ahem. Ahem. Good morning class." Ms. Camolli says enunciating class as if it tasted like a bitter melon.

"Good morning, Ms. Camolli." the class answers with a lack of enthusiasm. A few spirits join in as if to mock us and our pitiful greeting. Ms. Camolli purses her lips and then forms a twisted smirk.

"Pop quiz! I'll be handing out a quiz on the Axis Powers in World War Two." A student in the front row raises his hand.

"Yes, Jeremy." Ms. Camolli says frowning.

"Isn't it unnecessary to say the Axis Powers in World War Two. I mean they only existed in World War Two?" Jeremy's question earns a few giggles from the class. A few spirits criticize his disrespect. Ms. Camolli shares similar views with the spirits. "Jeremy, if you are going to disrupt my class, don't be in it." She points at the door.