4: Damien

I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock. The annoying blaring of the beeps makes me want to smash it, but instead I cover my head with the pillow I slept on and groan. I really don't want to go to school. I turn to my side and stare at the obnoxious little clock. It is 6:20am, I can stay in bed for another ten minutes, but I know that my grandmother will walk in within that time. That is at least what I see in the future. I turn off the alarm and go back to sleeping. About five minutes later, I hear my grandmother's slow paced foot steps.

"Damienet, you have to get up. You will be late for school." I ignore her and stay in bed. I hear the creak of the door opening and her voice pours into the room. "Damienet! You have time to have girlfriends and sleep, but when it comes to school and your grand-mére you do nothing? What type of grandson is that?" I complain into my pillow.

"Just five more minutes." I say and hold up five fingers behind my head.

"Ah Damienet, your grandfather would not have tolerated this. Fine, sleep for five more minutes, but then you will make your own breakfast and lunch." I turn over onto my back to speak.

"Fine. I'll get up." My grandmother walks to the bed to kiss me on the cheek and then slowly walks out of the room. I stare at the plain white ceiling and blink a few times. My brain is not fully awake. I roll out of bed and land on my feet. A loud thump follows. I take my phone and earbuds from my nightstand and put on my morning playlist. The fast rap and drumbeat of 99 Problems sung by Jay-Z explodes in my ears.

If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got ninety-nine problems but a bitch ain't one. I chuckle to myself. Jay-Z got that right. I can have any girl I want to have in the school, but I got a ton of other problems. My problems are not as bad as Jay-Z, but they certainly are annoying. I pull out a pair of designer jeans and a white graphic hoodie. I take off the clothes I slept in and toss them on the floor. I stare at them and remember last night's discovery. My grandmother is going to die soon. I don't know the exact day, but it will be soon. I don't want to find out. I need to stop using my powers otherwise I will be miserable knowing all the bad things that are going to happen.

If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got ninety-nine problems but a bitch ain't one. I walk into my bathroom and look in the mirror. My grandmother already replaced the broken one and cleaned up the shattered glass. I feel a little bad for the tantrum I threw yesterday, but it felt good to just let it out. My hair is a mess with each strand sticking up like a blade of grass. Nothing a comb and a little hair gel can't fix. I admit that I'm a little self-absorbed, but when you have to keep a reputation every little bit of your appearance matters.

If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got ninety-nine problems but a bitch ain't one. I run a dime-sized amount of gel through my hair going front to back. I follow the hair gel with a comb moving it front to back slowly making sure each hair does as the brush instructs it to do. I part it to the side and examine my work in the mirror. I wish I could shave the sides of my head and get a nice fade, but my grandmother likes the old-fashioned hairstyles. I did a pretty good job. If I wear it with my white gold chain it won't feel so preppy. I nod at myself in approval and raise my eyebrows. I look good and with that thought I take off my earbuds. I put my phone in my backpack and walk downstairs into the dining room. There three place settings. Two with silverware and plates. One for me, one for grandmother, and one for my grandfather. Smells of egg and toasting brioche waft into the dining room. My stomach growls, commanding me to follow the smell. I enter the kitchen and see my grandmother poaching some eggs in a pot on the stove. Today, she is sitting on a wooden stool as she cooks, which she only does if she has back pain.

"What's wrong, Grand-mére?" I ask knowing the answer.

"Damienet, you are so thoughtful. There is pain in my back and those painkillers give me a headache." She responds with a sigh. "I miss when I was young and did not have to worry about such things." I put my hand on her shoulder and smile at her.