Chapter 1

Chapter 1

-Kenneth-

Walking in the same school, same cool school. As I am walking, the girls are drooling as I walked passed them. I tried to summoned my lately attitude but I realize it will start some hell issues in this school. I sigh and continue what I am doing, by snob them. I mustered that ever since I was in eighth grade. Since girls start drooling for me, what can I say? I couldn’t blame my parents to have very beautiful genes.

“Ang gaga-aga ang grumpy mo agad.” A voice I recognize since I was a kid.

“Don’t start Kaye.” I said as I walk pass by her.

“Shit! May nangyari na naman sa inyo?!” She cussed. I turn my back to look at her. I saw a concern face of Kayezza Elloisa Smith. I sigh because she really knew me. Do I have nothing to hide from her? I sigh again and turned my back at her and leave her there. I don’t want to talk about it. She’ll never going to understand a bit of whatever is happening to my family right now because she has a perfect family. Mine was imperfect and trying to be fixed. Well in terms of business.

“Everything will be fine. Don’t think of the worst.” That made me stops from walking. She’s not a typical all English language girl spoken but when that happened she is surely serious. She walks towards me and look me in the eyes.

“Is it because of the arrange marriage thingy?” She asked and then I nod. “Let us go to Ate’s room and we could talk about it there.”

Ate Alyziana’s room is still the same but neater. The place looks like has been on regular cleaning. The room is not too big. It is only a typical small room. It is like a cupboard room. I’ve been here always whenever I have or Kaye has a problem. In this room we could sense a very light mood. Maybe it is because of the owner of the room.

“Okay, tell me.” She said while she is about to sit down in a bean bag. I sigh again and sit at her opposite end.

I started to tell her the story that happened since last semester. Dad is so worried. Everything that my grandparents did for the company is about to lose. Not totally bankrupt but probably half of it. Dad doesn’t want me to suffer from poverty that is why his solution is arranged marriage. My dad said it is still in my decision if I will agree to it but seeing my dad almost working twenty-four hours so that the company will be back again on top and that thing is making me guilty. What’s worse is that even I told them that I am half-heartedly agreed – I say half-heartedly, means not totally agree – they already gave me the pictures of the girl whom I will marrying.

“Anong problema dun? Nakita mo na yung babaeng papakasalan mo kung sakaling magpatali ka ay este magpakasal ka.” She said while grinning wide. She’s lighting up my mood. I shook my head in disbelief, nagawa na naman niya. Napagaan niya na naman ang mood ko sa simpleng salitang iyon.

“Ayos nga lang sa akin kung sino pero yung babae hindi ko sure kung ayos sa kanya.” Bulong ko.

“Ano yun?” She asked.

“Nothing.”

“Kung tayo yun pwede pero alam naman natin na hindi magiging matino ang buhay natin. Parehas tayong laging nasa gulo.”

“Yeah, right. Beside you are not even passing for the wife material and not even a girlfriend material.” I smirked.

“Kainis ka!” She said and I laugh hard. Nakabawi rin ako sa iyo.

The day passed slowly, I went to my regular subjects and then I went to have my basketball practice. Habang nagpapahinga kaming mga ka-teammates ko, nakikita ko siya na todo ang pag-e-ensayo ng mga routines nila. Kaye is really something kahit may pagkabaliw. Well, maybe that’s just her mechanism to forget something. She’s not sick or some but she has a memory that lasted for a lifetime. She has an eidetic memory. She remembers everything from her past. That is why she is so smart and people think she has everything. Well, she has everything. She has looks and brains, and I have it in spades pero hindi ko siya magawang diskartehan. Bestfriend lang ang turing niya sa akin at alam ko kung sino ang natitipuhan niya.

“Kung ako na lang sana ang yong minahal.” Biglang singit ni Luis habang kumakanta.

“Shut up, Luis!” Pagpapatigil ko sa kanya.

“Okay, pero pare diskartehan mo na. Bago ka pa maunahan ni Brent.”

“I can’t tell her. It’s better to be friend than nothing, right?” Sabi ko.

“Ikaw bahala pero pare, wag kang magsisisi kung sakaling masaktan ka.” Biglang tapik sa akin ni Luis at saka umalis.

I lie to Kaye earlier when I told her that she is not a girlfriend material in fact she is one hell of a gem! I want to cherish her for all of my life but she wants someone else. This is my second semester in second year and next semester I will be third year. I look at her again and I saw she’s hugging Brent. From that on I know that I am just the best friend.

I went home after that, hindi na ako nagpaalam kay Kaye kasi I am sure that she will spend her time with Brent – her new boyfriend. Pinakilala pa nga niya sa akin, syempre kailangan kong ngumiti ng hindi halatang peke. When I enter the house I saw a lot of things ang nakakalat. For sure, Paul and Jasmine are at home already.

“Kuya!” Someone hugged me from behind. I don’t need to look at the person because I know it is my eleven years old sister, Jasmine. I look at her still because even it is only a matter of hours that I am gone, I miss my sister. She’s not looking at me, she’s just hugging me.

“Jasmine, I’m sorry please?” Someone plead behind us, for sure that is her twin brother, Paul. “Kuya, your home early!” He continued.

“Che! Tumigil ka!” Sabi ni Jasmine at pagtingin ko sa kanya ay magang-maga ang mata.

“What did you do this time?” Tanong ko sa kapatid kong lalaki.

“I didn’t do anything to her. I just tell her something that I heard from you, and mom and dad.” He said.

“Please tell me, si Ate Kaye di ba ang pakakasalan mo?” Sabi ni Jasmine at may luha ulit na tumulo. Pinunasan ko naman iyon.

“Hindi na mangyayari yun. May –” Nauutal kong dugtong “– may boyfriend na ang ate Kaye niyo. Kakasagot niya lang kanina. Kaya hindi na tuloy ang kasal.”

“No! hindi ako papayag!” Padabog niyang pasok sa loob ng bahay at dumeretso sa kanyang kwarto.

“Did I heard right? Kayezza, has a boyfriend?” Biglang singit ni Daddy habang may hawak-hawak na sandwich sa kamay niya. Tumango naman ako.

“I’m sorry anak.”

“Dad, cancel it. Hanapan niyo na lang ako ng ibang pakakasalan ko. Ayokong masaktan siya kapag nalaman niya na ako dapat yung pakakasalan niya.”

“Anak?”

“Dad, I agree to the arrange marriage but not with Kaye. I don’t want her to be hurt she will remember it for a lifetime.” Sabi ko at tumango si dad ng dahan-dahan na parang nagsasabi na suko siya at payag na lang siya sa desisyon ko.