Chapter 10

As I forced myself to get out of bed I put on my slippers and put my hearing aids in. I slid my feet on the carpet as I made my way to my door and pulled it open. It was time to face the music, I had to go into my meeting today with Mr. Grey. I hadn't talked to Holland for the past four days, and I didn't know how to fix this. Although it wasn't only my problem to solve I knew I'd have to be the first to break the silence.

"Have you decided what you're going to do?" My mom asked as I entered the kitchen.

"No, but I have a little while to figure it out," I replied as I sat at the table. I plucked a pear of our fruit basket, but I quickly lost interest in it and set it down.

"Aaliyah, stop moping, please," my mom pleaded as she sat next to me, "Holland has every right to be upset, and we both know you haven't even attempted to talk to him. So stop acting butt hurt and talk to him."

"Mom, it's harder than that," I complained.

"Aaliyah, you're an adult. Although you aren't acting like one right now, you need to realize all relationships involve compromise. Not only that, but you can never solve problems if you avoid them. Problems don't just vanish." The doorbell rang, taking my mom from the table.

"Lees, it's for you!" My mom shouted from the door.

"Okay, one sec!" This really isn't the best time, like who in the heck comes over at 9:30 in the morning? I scurry to my moms bathroom and brush out my tangled hair and throw it into a ponytail. Then I grab a new tooth brush and brush my teeth as quick as I can. After that I hurried to the door and stopped in my tracks when I saw Holland standing there.

"Aaliyah, we need to talk," Holland informed me as I shyly walked over to him.

"Do you want to go outside?" I asked, sending my mom a pointed look. She nodded before walking away. I walked outside and shut the door.

"Hey Holl, I've missed you," I announced as I reached out to give him a hug. He side stepped me and sat down on a chair.

"Listen, Aaliyah, I don't know if you realized this, but you hurt me really bad a couple days ago. I kept waiting and hoping that you would call me, maybe go to my house, heck, even texting would have been better than nothing. But I don't think you are ready to get married, or even engaged for that matter."

"You don't know what I am and am not ready for!" I argued.

"Aaliyah, this is ridiculous. You chose a record label, then me, then you're willing to leave me so you can sign with Grey Records... I'm sorry, but that's low. I'm not going to put my life on hold while you go around living your life and forcing me to put mine on hold."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I'm breaking up with you," he whispered.

"No, you aren't!" I demanded.

"Yes, Aaliyah I am. I'm not going to let you hold me by the tongue while you do whatever. I'm done playing these games. I can't put my life on hold for you. I'm sorry, but I can't wait for however long your contract is to get married to you."

"But, Holl, I love you!"

"If you loved me, you would have talked to me, instead of avoiding the issue. You also probably would have tried to find a different record label, but of course, you only think about what will benefit you. You never think about me, and I'm sick of it. We are done," he said before standing up and walking to his car. He looked at me, as of hoping I would stop him. I shook my head with tears in my eyes as I walked into my house and slam the door.