prologue

(A/N: this is a bit lengthy because of Chan's trauma)

Catherine Bang opened up the olive-colored cabinet as she reached for the box of cereal. She set it down on the tan-colored counter top and poured the cereal into a multi-colored bowl. Followed by milk and a silver spoon, she sat the bowl down on the table. There, eight-year-old Chan looked up from drawing his picture and looked at his mother before grabbing the bowl.

Footsteps echoed from the wooden stairs as Daniel stepped down and walked to the kitchen with his fresh, new grey suit. Tying up his light blue and grey striped tie, he ruffled Chan's hair with a small smile before giving his wife a kiss on the cheek. "Good morning my favorite two people in the world!" Daniel grinned as he took his seat in front of Chan.

"I couldn't make your pancakes this morning because I have a meeting the next hour. So instead I made eggs and bacon." Catherine softly spoke to Daniel, placing his breakfast and a cup of coffee down in front of him. A ¼  cup of milk, two creams, and sugars. Just the way he always likes it.

Daniel waved his hand, dismissing her changes. "I'll be fine. As long as I have something to eat." He slightly joked.

"Dad, I drew you as a superhero!" Chan beamed as he gave his drawing to Daniel.

Daniel grabbed the drawing, glancing at the details. He drew him as a tall stick figure colored in apricot tan. With a red and blue cape, his smile was the biggest. "Superheroes are overrated, son," Daniel told Chan.

Catherine glanced at Daniel with warning eyes. Daniel avoided Catherine's eyes. Even though Chan is eight, she didn't want Chan to know what their real professions were just yet. Children can easily learn things and carry it with them for the rest of their lives.

Daniel was the leader of the gang called the Red Dragons. Being around since 1995, Daniel was born into gang life. His father was a part of the mafia himself before he died. Going through many initiations and suffering many losses, he finally had the throne. The biggest status he could carry.

Catherine was an ordinary Korean-Australian woman at 25, young and ready to take on her dreams. While dating Daniel, she found out who he really was unexpectedly when he killed an intruder who was one of his rivals, in front of her. Horrified, she called it quits as soon as possible already five months into their relationship. However, something about Daniel made her go back to him. Was it his overall charisma? His charming smile? Protective and open-minded nature? Catherine and her own mother couldn't figure out why themselves.

When Chan was born, it was a miracle for both Catherine and Daniel. Daniel promised to be the best dad to Chan despite the violence happening in the background while Catherine focused on having Chan healthy and alert. They both took classes on how to protect their child from intruders and enemies thanks to his friend Kim Hyunwoo.

Chan was like Curious George. Curious about every little thing in the world. Even though he asks alarming questions like "How are babies made?", "Where do animals go when they die?", and the best one "Why do we fight?"

Daniel didn't mind it at all. He believes Chan is ready to take on the world. Just like he was when he was young.

"Well, to me, they're overrated, but if you like them, then I think I look cool as a superhero." Daniel smiled at Chan and then his drawing.

Chan smiled back before eating his cereal. Catherine rested her arms on the top of the wooden chair. "I have a meeting in the next hour. Chan, you have tutoring with Nayeon so Mrs. Kim will bring you to the school and drive you back home." She told Chan.