TNL x Ch: 1

Dashawn POV:

Tonight on....Channel 9, Breaking News

"Good evening everyone. I am Johnathan Stokes and I'll be reporting the recent incident that occurred at The University of North Carolina Greensboro.........." The reporter said.

I watch the TV screen in interest of what was going on at the school I was attending this fall. I also have a few friends that go there too, so lets see what the hell done went down.

".......A fight broke out just minutes after a party on campus, During the fight, someone started to release rounds from a firearm. Although it was neither of the men whom were fighting, one of them was actually shot, and is in the hospital as we speak....." The reporter trailed on.

".......The two men fighting were identified as, Jaylin Moore and Marquez Gatewood. The man who was shot was indeed, Jaylin Moore and Marquez is in police custody for questioning. Jaylin is expected to recover fine with no life-threatening injuries. I am Johnathan Stokes reporting on Channel 9 New, back to you Phill." He said, as he wrapped his segments.

I shut the TV off. I can't believe this. Marquez is my best friend. He never told me he had problems with people. Now he's on the news like he's a murderer. I can't think right now.

Just as I was about to get up from the couch, my big brother, Darius rushes through the front door. "Aye, Shawn. You heard about Quez?" He asked in a frantic tone.

I just sat back down because, I know he about to talk to me. "Yes I heard. I don't think he shot that boy. I mean....Quez not even like that." I spoke, shaking my head.

Darius started his whole lecture. "You need to make sure ya ass don't get into no shit when you leave off for school. You hear me?" He questioned like a stern father.

I just nodded. I just hope he wasn't the one who pulled the trigger. He has too much going for himself. He wants to play pro in the NBA and become that's my best friend, I'll be right there, court side supporting.

"Are you going to defend him in court?" I asked Darius. I mean....Darius is one of the best lawyers in Charlotte. "If it's gets to that point, then I'll defend him. He's like family and we ride for ours." He said.

Me and Darius continued to talk about the situation and in the mist of us talking I got a call from a No Caller ID...I picked up and was immediately met with this message

"You have a collect call from Marquez, an inmate at Guilford County Jail. To accept the charges, please press 0." The automated system spoke.

Me: Hello?

Quez: Hey Shawn, wassup?

Me: What the fuck happened Quez?

Quez: Man...I didn't shoot him. The News be lying.

Me: So what happened?

Quez: Me and ole dude got into a fight and while we were going at it, somebody started shootings. I had already left the scene when I found out that he was shot. I didn't do it, I swear.

Me: I believe you.

Quez: I knew I could count on you. Look, you gone come and see me? I don't have court until Monday. I just wanted to see before I never you you again.

Me: Don't talk like that, Darius is defending you in court, and that's like a 3 hour drive but I'll come see you.
"You have five minutes remaining"

Quez: Look, we don't have much time but, I hope to see you tomorrow tho.

Me: Yeah, see you tomorrow. Be safe in there.

Quez: Fasho. Bye

End of Phone Call

Its crazy how one day you speak to someone and the next, they're either in jail or dead.

"What he say?" Darius asked, coming back into the living room. "He wants me to come and see him tomorrow." Darius just looked at me with a look like he's about to ask me something.
"Look lil bro, you know I love you and I'll support anything you decide to do. I just got one question tho?" He asked.

I was nervous as f**k about the question. "What you wanna know?" I questioned. "Are you......" he took a long ass pause. ".....are you gay? Like do you and Quez got something going on?"

My heart fell to my ass. I mean...Marquez is very handsome but I've never looked at him in that manner. But now that Darius said something, I wouldn't mind letting quez putting me in a chokehold and- never mind.
I do love him tho. If it's gets to that point, only time will tell.

"To answer you're question......I really don't know. I don't think I've tapped into that side if me yet." I answered truthfully. He just nodded his head and walked out of the living room.