Chap. 2

Chapter 2

“What should I wear to church tomorrow?” I questioned Xander as I lined my golf club up with the ball.

“Hm. Well it's getting cold. And you've already gotten out your boots. So, how about you curl your hair.” He casually responded. Xander's used to talking about clothes, and hair, and make-up. I'm not exactly like most girls that have guy best friends. Most girls are tomboys and don't really care about their appearance. That's not me at all. I always try to look cute. My hair is always done, even if that means having the perfectly messy, messy bun. I just can't stand my hair not being perfect. And I don't have many lazy days with my outfits anymore either. So basically, I don't sacrifice any of the girly bestie stuff, I just convince my guy bestie to do that stuff with me.

“That didn't make much sense but I haven't curled my hair in like forever so I will do that.” And hole in one.

“I like your hair curly.” He informed me as he wrote down my score and then took his turn.

Oh yea?” I asked watching him take his shot.

"Yea. And straightened.” Ugh. He got a hole in one too. We've been tied the whole game. He does terrible on the same ones as me, and we both do great on the same ones.

“That's kind of contradictory.” I decided as we walked to the next hole. It was Saturday, meaning we played mini golf. Another one of our traditions. Except we didn't start this one. My Uncle Sam did. He took us every Saturday when we were little and when he was stationed overseas, we just kept it going.

“Well I like it in braids too.” I took my turn. Hole in 3.

“You're gonna lose your mind if you're so open to different styles.” He got a hole in 2. Crap.

“Well, I must be crazy, because I like your messy buns too.” After arriving at the next hole, our favorite, I got a hole in one as we both always do. It's our favorite because it was the first time either of us either got a hole in one, and it just so happens we both did on the same day, at the same hole.

“Yup. You've already lost it.”

“The game or my mind?” He missed. Hole in 2.

“Both. Did you just get a hole in 2?”

“Yup.”

“That's impossible.”

“Well, obviously not.”

“But you always get a hole in one. We both do.”

“Oops.”

“What's your deal?”

“I don't know. Just off my game I guess.”

“Yeah. Okay. Xander Jones, off his game.”

“It happens.”

“If you say so.”

We finished up the last couple of holes and I came up ahead by one point. So, I get free ice cream. That's the rule, loser treats winner to ice cream and buys their game the next week. Except, Xander never actually lets me pay for anything ever, so he always buys.

“What flavor?” Xander asked when we walked into Sparkle, our favorite ice cream shop. The place was literally covered in sparkles. I loved it here. Everything is just so happy and exciting.

I laughed. “Is that even a real question?” The answer is chocolate. It always has been, and it always will be.

He just smiled. “One chocolate in a cone and one rainbow sherbert in a dish.” Did he just say rainbow sherbert? That sounds disgusting. Sparkle has over 700 ice cream flavors. They switch out three of them every week. They've only gone through the list three times since I've been alive. They restart the list in a month or so, Xander has gotten a different flavor every time we've come here. Since we've been coming at least once a week, plus a couple extra times a week since we were three, he only has about 20 flavors left to try. He has this book that my Uncle Sam made for him. It has all the flavors, and he marks them off as he goes. Its kind of crazy actually.