32. Fairy nonsense

Jack loved Herbology because it was held outside and also because he loved all the magical plants he got to play with. While all plant life held faint traces of nature magic, the plants in the greenhouses were pulsing with it, drawing him in. He liked to put his hand over each and feel how different its energy was from its neighbor.

"Don't touch anything venomous again," Elsa scolded Jack, and he glowered at her. He wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

His sister was annoyingly unadventurous, so he let her work on her own while he looked around. He wandered away from other students and found a plant that had long leaves and small delicate flowers. The tag said it was Asphodel, a common potion ingredient. His hand hovered over it, and he picked up two distinct trails of magic, one of which was very strong. A movement caught his eye. He parted the leaves and couldn't believe his eyes. There was a small winged creature hiding in the plant. Upon seeing Jack, it made a small squeal and looked for an escape route.

"Don't be scared. I won't hurt you," Jack assured.

"I sure hope not," the creature responded in a soft voice.

Jack smiled reassuringly and moved a few leaves aside, trying to get a better look. "Are you a fairy?"

"What else would I be?"

"I don't know. I've never seen a fairy before."

This one was small enough to fit in his palm, had curly brown hair falling to his shoulders with long pointy ears sticking out of it. He was wearing a green tunic which looked like it was made of some plant material. His translucent wings shimmered with multiple colors, reflecting the light.

"You can understand me?" the fairy asked.

"Of course I can. I'm Jack. What's your name?"

The fairy's wings fluttered in excitement. He squeezed between the long leaves, as interested in Jack as he was in him.

"I'm Reed. What are you, Jack?"

Jack looked around to ensure that he was alone and then whispered, "Winter Spirit."

Reed gasped and put his tiny hand against his mouth. Jack hoped that fairies didn't have anything against his kind. Seeing no negative reaction, he put a hand out palm-up in invitation. Reed looked at his hand with hesitation but then climbed on top.

"Do you live in the greenhouse?" Jack asked.

"Don't be absurd." Reed scoffed. "Do you?"

Jack grimaced, imagining how uncomfortable it would be to sleep in a humid place like this. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm looking for supplies."

Reed sat on Jack's palm, and they studied each other for a moment. The potent tingling of fairy magic that came off him made Jack feel warm on the inside. He wondered what his magic felt like to the fairy.

"What you got there, boy?" Professor Sprout asked, coming up behind him.

Jack froze, startled. He didn't hear her approach. He looked up hesitantly, wondering what she would think about a fairy in his hands. Could he explain it?

"Oh, a Garden Fairy," she said. "Great catch. If you don't need its wings, I'll take them. I need to make a Girding Potion and fresh wings are the best."

She approached Jack with an outstretched hand.

He brought the fairy to his chest protectively. "What?"