30. Tales from the attic

Elsa joined her roommates in the Great Hall though she wasn't very hungry. She had entire two days to devote to research. She was ready for a breakthrough. Sue Li was doing homework while eating, crossing over everything she had written, and starting over. Next to her, Luna ate her oatmeal while looking up at the enchanted ceiling with awe as if it depicted something other than a cloudy day.

An owl swooped down to their table, carrying a package in its talons. Sue Li screeched.

"Apple, how lovely to see you," Luna said to the small hawk-like bird.

She reached out to pet it on the head, and the owl closed its eyes in pleasure. Sue Li scooted away on the bench.

"Apple?" Elsa asked, wondering if she misheard.

"She loves our apple tree. It was as if she wanted to be named after it, so we took the hint." Luna gave the owl a small sausage link as a treat. Apple snatched it and flew away.

"It must be daddy's response."

Elsa licked her lips, remembering what Luna was going to ask her dad about. The package on the table could contain a clue, but to her frustration, Luna went back to eating her oatmeal, leaving the parcel unopened. Did she not realize how important it was?

"Are you going to open it?"

"Go ahead."

Elsa promptly ripped the brown paper wrapping. Inside was a letter which she handed to her friend, and two copies of a magazine called The Quibbler with eye-catching but strange article headlines.

Luna read the letter and relayed its contents while munching, "Daddy says that he doesn't know where the mirror is. He sent the magazine with the article about it along with tomorrow's edition for some fun reading."

"Tomorrow's? How did he get tomorrow's edition already?"

"He's the editor."

"That's great. It must be fun."

"Oh, it is. Dad is always on the lookout for the most interesting ideas and publishes what other magazines don't dare to discuss or are too closed-minded to understand. The Quibbler is where the best stories are."

"Do you mind if I borrow the old one?"

"Feel free to keep it." Luna read the cover of the new edition and said on exhale. "Look at that. There was another sighting of Crumple-Horned Snorkack. I wonder where."

Elsa excused herself and left the Great Hall. She was stopped on the way by McGonagall.

"Elsa, dear. It feels like I haven't spoken to you in ages. How are you and your brother holding up?"

"We're great," Elsa said, though she had to admit she had not spoken to him outside of class. He was always busy with his new friends. She didn't mind though. She had friends of her own now.

The witch did not look assured. "Last we spoke, you were concerned about staying here. "Please, do remember that running away is not the answer. If you only..."

"We're not running away," Elsa interrupted. She was confident in her plan, but she had to hurry to finish before winter came.

"My door is always open if you ever need anything."

"Thank you. Have a good weekend, Professor," Elsa said, starting to walk away.

McGonagall sighed heavily and walked away to do whatever it was teachers did in their spare time. Elsa found a quiet spot in the courtyard, eager to find the article.