4: Mission: Truth

*Luc's POV

She is under my skin, stuck under so far. I sigh and grab my gun. I glance up at the three targets. I close my eyes and put a magazine into the pistol. I open my eyes and fire three rounds, each of them hitting the dead center of the target.

"Lucifer?" Echo asks, coming in.

"What?" I ask sternly. I've never liked Echo, something is off about her, but I can't figure it out. I glance at her and she is being tailed by Liam, who is looking at his computer.

"The drug run tonight," she starts.

"Liam what's wrong?" I say, turning my attention to him and dismissing her.

"It's just that," he says, looking up at me, "The Captain changed unexpectedly. Someone we don't know. I also can't dig up anything about him."

"We still go," I reply, knowing they want to know, "But we search the boat and frisk him. We can't get caught, not this far into the game."

"Sir," Echo says, nodding.

They turn to leave and I say, "Liam stay."

He nods and Echo narrows her eyes at him. She leaves and I ask, "Have you found out why I don't like Echo yet?"

"No," he shakes his head, "I've been tracking her movements. She goes home and comes here. No one else comes or goes from her house and she has an average past, she had a few break ins and entering, but nothing else."

"Fuck," I cuss and reload my gun. I shove it into my holster and walk out of the room. Liam follows.

Liam has been my longest friend since I moved in with my father. He is younger, but acts older than he is. He can hack anything and that's a valuable skill for my mafia. I say, "So you and Rose?"

"Off right now," he says, sighing.

"Again with her 'there has to be more to the world' thing?" I ask, casting a look at him.

"Yes, unfortunately," he says, "I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

"Nothing," I tell him. I glance at Ariel on his computer screen as I say, "Some people just don't get the hints."

He smiles and says, "Still her?"

"There's never been anyone else," I tell him honestly. I glance at her through the cameras.

She is smiling and laughing about something Mira said. Her laugh is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. I look away, I can't be distracted right now.

I grab my knife and put it in my belt. I head out to my car and get in. Liam is already in the seat next to me.

I call Ethan. He picks up and says, "Ciao Lucifero. Siamo pronti per partire?"

"Sì, ma fai attenzione a Echo. Non ha riferito stasera per la missione," I reply.

"Non preoccuparti, Lucifero. Dicono che la corteccia di una donna sia peggiore del suo morso," he tells me.

"Bene, il morso di questo serpente è peggio della sua corteccia," I reply. I hang up and turn to Liam, "Find Echo."

He nods and opens up his computer as I turn towards the dock.

"She is calling you in three... two... one," when he says one my phone rings.

I answer it and shout, "Where the fuck are you, Echo?"

"Sir," she sounds forced, "We've been compromised."

"By who?" I hiss.

"Jax, sir," she tells me. There is breathing in between hers.